1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

OBD1 and the dealers computer reader

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:32 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts
Default OBD1 and the dealers computer reader

1994 Dakota 3.9L V6 OBD1
I'm trying to find out if the dealer will be able to read more info with their computer connection, than I can by checking the OBD1 flash codes.

I have spoken to two dealers across the country from each other and they were both very cagy. I was left without a direct answer, a firmly implied assertion that I should pay to have them or a Dealer "check it out" and no firm information on any other topic.

I checked some code readers advertised online and the best one I could find the Innovo 3120 would only read the OBD1 flash codes and delete them for me. I can already do that without a reader.

*As far as I know to delete a code you disconnect the negative battery cable for several minutes and when you reconnect it should be clear of problem codes. You'll get a 12 which means the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts and a 55 which means it is done reading codes.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 PM
daksnbeers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea if dealers can do this there is a plug coming off the pcm to check codes I'm pretty sure you can go to almost any shop and have them check it. And you're right on dissconecting the battery. It resets the pcm and is good to do after changing sensors or doing tune ups so it has something fresh to go by and canake the ajustments needed.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:59 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
1994 Dakota 3.9L V6 OBD1
I'm trying to find out if the dealer will be able to read more info with their computer connection, than I can by checking the OBD1 flash codes.

I have spoken to two dealers across the country from each other and they were both very cagy. I was left without a direct answer, a firmly implied assertion that I should pay to have them or a Dealer "check it out" and no firm information on any other topic.

I checked some code readers advertised online and the best one I could find the Innovo 3120 would only read the OBD1 flash codes and delete them for me. I can already do that without a reader.

*As far as I know to delete a code you disconnect the negative battery cable for several minutes and when you reconnect it should be clear of problem codes. You'll get a 12 which means the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts and a 55 which means it is done reading codes.

well its been a while but from what I remember with o'l SNAP ON tools scanner and older 90's dodge vehicles , it was able to read a lot of info

Old 12-04-2013, 11:27 PM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran

The dealer and most after market scan tools (not code readers) like Snap-on and OTC can read more than just codes, they can read data. My Snap-on Solus Pro for example can read data. Because I could read data I could see the fuel trims pegged lean after I did my 5.9 swap in my '94 Dakota using the 5.2 computer. I also use my Solus Pro to read data on my '88 OBD I turbo-charged Caravan when I tune it. If you want to read data, your best bet would be to look for an used OTC 4000e on Craig's list

Old 12-04-2013, 11:56 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Thanks
What info will it give and can I adjust from the unit?
I think I found one for $150 in CL is that about right?

Old 12-05-2013, 12:01 AM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran

Thanks
What info will it give and can I adjust from the unit?
I think I found one for $150 in CL is that about right?
A bunch of stuff, too much to list. It's all kind of worthless unless you know what you're looking at. If you don't know what good parameters are you won't know if you're looking at bad ones.

I've seen the OTC 4000e's between $100 and $300. Got a link for me to check.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

I was figuring the manuals would explain the numbers and I would be able to ask here. Here is the link it has several extra cartridges listed and he just responded saying it had an OBD1 cartridge.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tls/4182916639.html

Old 12-05-2013, 12:26 PM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran

I was figuring the manuals would explain the numbers and I would be able to ask here. Here is the link it has several extra cartridges listed and he just responded saying it had an OBD1 cartridge.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tls/4182916639.html
You figured wrong. I have some factory manuals for the late 80's/early 90's FWD Chryslers and the manuals don't explain what is a good data reading or a bad data reading. I'm a professional auto technician with 19 years experience and I can't tell you what all the data that's displayed on a scan tool if it's good or bad. It also varies with elevation. Good data at sea level might not be good data at 5000 feet elevation.

That is the scan tool you want as a do it yourselfer and a weekend mechanic. I want to pick one of those up so I can leave it in my turbo-van when I'm tuning. If my van gets broken into, I'd rather lose a $150 scan tool than a $3500 one.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:31 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

I was referring to the manuals that come with the scanner would explain what each set of numbers was describing and I could ask here what any particular number meant.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:40 PM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran

I was referring to the manuals that come with the scanner would explain what each set of numbers was describing and I could ask here what any particular number meant.
Those manuals won't have it either. You can ask here, someone might know the answer to what your asking but a lot of it comes down to experience which most weekend mechanics don't have. A scan tool is nothing more than a sophisticated test light. It's not the be all, end all to vehicle diagnosis. If you test a circuit and a test light lights or doesn't light, if you don't know or are not familiar with that circuit, the data you are seeing is useless. Just like a trouble code doesn't tell you what the problem is. It tells you WHERE to start looking and testing.

Quick Reply: OBD1 and the dealers computer reader