1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

over drive wont hold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolfen1086
ok yall , got pics here they are
sorry I cant add anything that hasnt been said, but that's sweet! Nice truck man. Hope you get it figured out.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Wolfen1086
Professional
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I did not read the whole thread. You last post makes me think of my truck when I first bought it. Its the 3.9 2wd. It ran out of gas at 150 miles on a full tank! Doing the plenum fixed that. I also did the water pump and timing chain and pretty much all of the sensors in the throttle body and intake manifold when I did it. I also changed out the O2 sensor. I cleaned the intake and tb really well. I got 385 miles on the next tank of gas. Now that I have the gauge fixed it gets 320 miles per tank before I fill it. I usually have 2+ gallons in the tank which is 30+ miles when I fill up. You should also do a vacuum check and check the CAT to see if it is worn out or clogged.
The OD solenoid sounds like the right call. I would also make sure the throttle valve cable is properly adjusted at the transmission first then at the throttle body. I can't find the info I had at one time that describes the correct procedure for setting it at each end. I had a problem with my trans and OD seeming to be working wrong. I wasted money on a rebuild. It improved when I put in a new Crank sensor. Oh yea I also changed the switch plate which is under the rotor. That wire coming out of the dist connects to it.
Great plenum gasket, just what I really didn't wanna hear LOL although it makes perfect sense, I totally forgot to hook up my vacuum gage to the thing, thanks for reminding me about the vacuum man, its been a couple of years since I've worked on an engine, last one I did was a 2.5 in a Jeep, lose vacuum on one of those and its an easy fix Monday I'll be hooking up the vac gage as for the OD, I dont wannan do the selonid, but it beats a rebuild since they reuse most of the same parts and if one of them is bad guess what they just put back in your trans ( been there had that happen at ammco) I might try the speed sensor first its easily accessible, but keep the advice coming yall, I was loyal to Chevy for 30 years so Chrysler is a whole new world of different problems for me

Old 08-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Wolfen1086
Professional

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
sorry I cant add anything that hasnt been said, but that's sweet! Nice truck man. Hope you get it figured out.
Thanks man wait till you see it when I'm done

Old 08-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Great plenum gasket, just what I really didn't wanna hear LOL although it makes perfect sense, I totally forgot to hook up my vacuum gage to the thing, thanks for reminding me about the vacuum man, its been a couple of years since I've worked on an engine, last one I did was a 2.5 in a Jeep, lose vacuum on one of those and its an easy fix Monday I'll be hooking up the vac gage as for the OD, I dont wannan do the selonid, but it beats a rebuild since they reuse most of the same parts and if one of them is bad guess what they just put back in your trans ( been there had that happen at ammco) I might try the speed sensor first its easily accessible, but keep the advice coming yall, I was loyal to Chevy for 30 years so Chrysler is a whole new world of different problems for me
its not the speed sensor, ill guarentee you that. The speed sensor controls all shifts and when it fails you'll get a no shift drops in neutral condition. It won't hold a gear at all, only for spits and spurts.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:06 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

its not the speed sensor, ill guarentee you that. The speed sensor controls all shifts and when it fails you'll get a no shift drops in neutral condition. It won't hold a gear at all, only for spits and spurts.
not on anything older than 96 it won't... speed sensor could be gone it will still shift fine... that was still an "RH" transmission.... and you have a cable drive for the speedo, so all it will do is set a code for "no output sense" before the cable drive went away, the speed sense is only for the computer feedback... will NOT affect the shifts!

Old 08-19-2017, 08:06 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by volaredon
not on anything older than 96 it won't... speed sensor could be gone it will still shift fine... that was still an "RH" transmission.... and you have a cable drive for the speedo, so all it will do is set a code for "no output sense" before the cable drive went away, the speed sense is only for the computer feedback... will NOT affect the shifts!
Tru-dat....They don't call 'em hydraulic transmissions for nothing. Although, the Jeeps had the RE's as early as 93.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:27 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

true. Keep forgetting 96 is special. Maybe 95. Anyways, still doesnt do anything for his problem with od.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,945 Posts

My question is: How much is RPM changing? is it actually dropping out of O/D, or is it simply TCC disengaging.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Wolfen1086
Professional

I had a friend with a 96 once he sold it because the trans just ground and quit one week out of warranty

true. Keep forgetting 96 is special. Maybe 95. Anyways, still doesnt do anything for his problem with od.
And my 93 isn't special LOL....mine right now is special ed

Originally Posted by HeyYou
My question is: How much is RPM changing? is it actually dropping out of O/D, or is it simply TCC disengaging.
all the way from just under 2 to 28, it drops from od to 3rd in a heartbeat, it never drops to 4th

Old 08-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

I had a friend with a 96 once he sold it because the trans just ground and quit one week out of warranty

And my 93 isn't special LOL....mine right now is special ed

all the way from just under 2 to 28, it drops from od to 3rd in a heartbeat, it never drops to 4th
uhh.. 4th gear is OD..