1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Parking brake release handle replacement 93 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 09:30 PM
terpfan1980
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake release handle replacement 93 Dakota

Greetings all - I'm looking to find a good replacement for the original Parking Brake release handle for the '93 Dakota truck that is a new rehab project for me. The handle that was there broke around the collar. If I can just get a handle that would connect to the existing cable, that would be fine. If it is easier to get a cable assembly that would work, that is fine too, just need to know what would be a good replacement. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terpfan1980
Greetings all - I'm looking to find a good replacement for the original Parking Brake release handle for the '93 Dakota truck that is a new rehab project for me. The handle that was there broke around the collar. If I can just get a handle that would connect to the existing cable, that would be fine. If it is easier to get a cable assembly that would work, that is fine too, just need to know what would be a good replacement. Thanks in advance!
I just got a 94 parts truck..let me check the condition of the ebrake pedal. I know the cable and the rest of the stuff is junk, but the pedal might be ok. Id sell it cheap, ship it as well, and I do have paypal

Old 08-26-2017, 10:18 PM
terpfan1980

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
I just got a 94 parts truck..let me check the condition of the ebrake pedal. I know the cable and the rest of the stuff is junk, but the pedal might be ok. Id sell it cheap, ship it as well, and I do have paypal
Just confirming, my pedal is fine. It's the release handle that is broken. That's what I'm hoping to replace (though I could replace the cable assembly and handle both if that is easier...)

Old 08-26-2017, 10:23 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Just confirming, my pedal is fine. It's the release handle that is broken. That's what I'm hoping to replace (though I could replace the cable assembly and handle both if that is easier...)
Herp.. Sorry. Ill check that tomorrow amd report what I find.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:49 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

So just to make sure, the plastic is broken but the little metal rod that attaches to the cable is okay? Same happened to me so I found a nut that threaded onto the end of the rod and welded a little d ring to the nut. More solid than the original and easier to pull. If you cant weld maybe you can rig something else up just using a nut and a drilled piece of flat steel. Might be more of a hack job than you want to do but if it works it certainly wouldnt bother me. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:42 AM
terpfan1980

Originally Posted by tbugden
So just to make sure, the plastic is broken but the little metal rod that attaches to the cable is okay? Same happened to me so I found a nut that threaded onto the end of the rod and welded a little d ring to the nut. More solid than the original and easier to pull. If you cant weld maybe you can rig something else up just using a nut and a drilled piece of flat steel. Might be more of a hack job than you want to do but if it works it certainly wouldnt bother me. Good luck.
You got it, it's the plastic handle that is busted. I've seen a couple of possible handles that I could perhaps make work, but I wasn't sure if this was something that I should be able to replace that easily. All I've seen of it so far is that I've got a lump of plastic sitting at the end of the cable. I wasn't sure what is under that lump of broken plastic. So it sounds like I could unscrew the plastic and nut and find a bolt that I may be able to use to hold a new plastic handle on (which might be, for me, as easy as drilling a couple of holes through a plastic handle so I can put the nut into the plastic... One oversized hole to put the nut in that doesn't go all the way through, the other hole straight through to allow the bolt to stick through)

Old 08-27-2017, 12:10 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep you got the right idea, sorry I don't know a better "off the shelf" solution, though I'd imagine it exists somewhere.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:16 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

The handle I have is in good shape. Idk of youd be interested in doing paypal or whatever but I'd get rid of it for a good price for both of us. Lmk

Old 08-27-2017, 12:24 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

You got it, it's the plastic handle that is busted. I've seen a couple of possible handles that I could perhaps make work, but I wasn't sure if this was something that I should be able to replace that easily. All I've seen of it so far is that I've got a lump of plastic sitting at the end of the cable. I wasn't sure what is under that lump of broken plastic. So it sounds like I could unscrew the plastic and nut and find a bolt that I may be able to use to hold a new plastic handle on (which might be, for me, as easy as drilling a couple of holes through a plastic handle so I can put the nut into the plastic... One oversized hole to put the nut in that doesn't go all the way through, the other hole straight through to allow the bolt to stick through)
If it's 1/4-20 thread, there's always a handle like this one:

http://www.jegs.com/i/All-American-B...HEB-P/10002/-1

RwP

Old 08-27-2017, 12:52 PM
terpfan1980

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
The handle I have is in good shape. Idk of youd be interested in doing paypal or whatever but I'd get rid of it for a good price for both of us. Lmk
I'll try to tag up on it soon with you.

Thanks to the other suggestions above too. Much appreciated.