1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Did a REALLY dumb thing and broke my truck. Laugh at me.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 10:27 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Did a REALLY dumb thing and broke my truck. Laugh at me.

Not really asking advice here, just venting. But comments are welcome.

So my truck has had an intermittent stalling issue that occurs when I push the clutch in. Only every once in a while it does it so it wasn't a major concern. It always starts right back up.

But, yesterday it stalled and while the truck was still moving I disengaged the clutch and turned the key. But I guess I did it too quickly and the flywheel was still turning when I turned the key. It made a terrible noise. When I came to a halt I tried it again and the starter just spun freely, clearly not engaging the ring gear.

So, got it towed and pulled the starter today. I was hoping I'd just busted the starter gear but nope. The gear was fine and the starter bench tested perfect.

Flywheel and ring gear looked fine, the little of it that I could see, but very difficult to see down there. I reinstalled the starter and tried it again. Starter whirred then seemed to lock up. I quit trying. Not sure what I did but I think something is really messed up. Oh also it wouldn't pop start either.

Maybe a broken crankshaft? Can only speculate now. Perfect time for a v8 swap if so. Pulling the engine ASAP. Fricken ice and snow everywhere is gonna make the crane hard to manuever.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:43 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

by broken crank do you mean the thrust bearings are worn...anymovement in the crankshaft when the clutch is engaged...maybe the crank is moving due to worn thrust bearings and loosing crk position signal?

Old 02-09-2018, 06:18 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

If you think you broke the crank, I believe you could check by removing the starter, and have someone with a breaker bar turn the motor (from the front) and watch the flywheel to see what is happening.....
Sorry to hear that, but if you do pull the motor, I look forward to progress reports, and of course pictures!!

Old 02-09-2018, 08:20 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I think you'll find that the starter IS broken, it just didn't show itself when not under load.

I can't see a mechanism that would have broken the crank on you. I CAN see the starter being messed up where you won't see it on the bench, but when you tried again, it jammed itself and locked itself up.

But don't feel too bad.

I normally run 15W40 year round, being as "We never get days below 20F around here in Louisiana!"

So, two or three weeks ago, we had a 10F morning. I had to head out and do a call, started the truck, and it took about 3 seconds for the "LOW OIL" light to quit.

After that, that afternoon it started doing its "threshing machine eating steel ball bearings" imitation ...

Le sigh.

RwP

Old 02-09-2018, 10:49 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
I think you'll find that the starter IS broken, it just didn't show itself when not under load.

RwP

If that is true, and assuming the truck is still together, it would be easy to test by just rolling it, or towing it, and seeing if it will start ........

Old 02-09-2018, 11:45 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

I was thinking there may be a brass key in the starter shaft to prevent it from breaking the flywheel teeth?? I assume pop start means popping the clutch after getting it rolling? Did you have it in high enough gear? Sometimes 1st or 2nd is too low to get it turning over fast enough.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:09 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I was thinking there may be a brass key in the starter shaft to prevent it from breaking the flywheel teeth?? I assume pop start means popping the clutch after getting it rolling? Did you have it in high enough gear? Sometimes 1st or 2nd is too low to get it turning over fast enough.
Actually, the lower the gear, the more times the motor will turn over for a revolution of the back tires.

Remember how transmission gearing works ...

What SOMETIMES happens is that in the stiffer gears, there's not enough torque being produced to spin the motor past the compression ... BTDT, but not with any car I actually owned *grins*

RwP

Old 02-09-2018, 03:11 PM
tbugden
All Star

Thanks guys, all good comments.

You could be right Ralph about the starter, except for the fact that it wouldn't pop start and just made bad noises. And yeah I tried popstarting it twice, until I got to the bottom of the hill...haha. First try in 1st, second try in 2nd gear. It didn't even pretend, just made awful sounds. Not sounds like an engine being forced to turn over, sounds more like when you throw scrap metal into a full bin of scrap from high above. I've pop started this truck quite a few times and I know how fast I need to be going. I was definitely going fast enough.

Started pulling the engine today but I need new cut off wheels for my dremel to cut the exhaust header bolts off. Besides that I just have to remove the bellhousing bolts and motor mounts and pull it out. Anxious to see what I find.

Last edited by tbugden; 02-09-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:56 PM
tbugden
All Star

Okay diagnosis is....engine borked! It's seized up, rotating by hand it moves fine about 90 degrees in either direction then locks up hard. All plugs out, it just stops like it hits a wall.

So.... who has a 318 truck they can sell me?

Old 02-18-2018, 10:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

I have a 360...... But, I am just a bit of a distance from you.

Quick Reply: Did a REALLY dumb thing and broke my truck. Laugh at me.