1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Heavy Duty Shocks??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 10:54 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The gimme truck is rusted in all the places that mine isn't and clean where mines rusty. My cabs a bit straighter with less dents. I can't get the title on the parts truck so it's just gonna be for parts. Unless I just swap the entire dash over to the other cab so I can keep my Vin. I'm not too worried about welding the cab mount or the frame mount. There's lots of good metal around where I'll have to weld. It's just the amount of time I'll have into it. But if I fix it now and do it right then I won't have to do it again later. I'm trying to see if I can do this truck properly and stick to a hard budget. My limit is 350 per month. So far I haven't come close to that. In two months all I've had to buy is frame paint, rust converter, a couple pieces of rebar and washing soda for my electrolysis setup, and grinding and cutoff wheels. I picked up a set of 31x10.5r15 tires with alot of life on them for 70 bucks. It'll cost me 100 to get the parts truck towed over here. So I'm doing pretty good. Got some money leftover and a new month about to start. Of course now is when I start ordering a bunch of stuff because the frame is about done lol

Old 04-25-2018, 04:38 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

OK. I went to one shop and they will add a leaf $200 per side. Nice guy. Went to another shop and he said $469 both sides no new bushings. If he sold me a leaf it would not have any holes in it. He never gave me a price. I don't want to do business with him. The link I provided will ship me new leaf springs with bushings for $379 to my house. I'm thinking it over. I don;t usually use this truck to haul but if I did beef it up I could then take the other one apart and start rebuilding it.......decisions decisions.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:49 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

you can buy add a leaves for a lot less than $200 a pair, even if you factor in a new set of U bolts because they will most certainly break. I've done them, not a terrible job to do.
For $200/side check out Eaton Detroit Spring or General Spring you can get whole complete new leaf springs "heavy duty" for less than that

Old 04-25-2018, 06:41 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

Originally Posted by volaredon
you can buy add a leaves for a lot less than $200 a pair, even if you factor in a new set of U bolts because they will most certainly break. I've done them, not a terrible job to do.
For $200/side check out Eaton Detroit Spring or General Spring you can get whole complete new leaf springs "heavy duty" for less than that
He wanted $200 for each side to add a leaf. That $379 is for 2 complete new leaves rated 2550lbs each. Where can I buy an add a leaf? Will it be cut and drilled for the application?

Old 04-25-2018, 07:31 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

You can get add a leaf kits all over. eBay summit jegs. Places like that. Not going to cost you 200 a side either. More like 200 for the whole kit. I know guys that added a leaf out of completely different vehicles that they picked up at a junkyard. I don't recommend doing it that way.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:15 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

as long as the leaf springs he robs for the extra leaf are the same width he will be fine. He will want a long one/ shorter than the main leaf but longer than the 2nd leaf..... I forget where I found it but when I had my 94 and added the leaf to it, I looked at the technical details in the buyers guide rather than the actual listing guide for "this" truck.... the hole for the centering bolt will be closer to one end of the leaf by a couple inches than to the other end,,, shorter section to front of truck....

Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

I think the ones my buddy used we're off a third gen Camaro.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:42 AM
onemore94dak
Champion

I pulled the trigger on a new set of springs from General Spring per the link I posted earlier. I figure mine are worn out since stepping on the rear bumper really drops the back end a lot more than it should. I'll add the link again since its so far up on scrolling to when I posted that link before https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/34-263.htm I called and asked if they would sell me leaves and they said no.

UPS ground shipping is <$99 so it's <$379 to my house

Old 04-26-2018, 03:20 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I pulled the trigger on a new set of springs from General Spring per the link I posted earlier. I figure mine are worn out since stepping on the rear bumper really drops the back end a lot more than it should. I'll add the link again since its so far up on scrolling to when I posted that link before https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/34-263.htm I called and asked if they would sell me leaves and they said no.

UPS ground shipping is <$99 so it's <$379 to my house

The price you posted earlier for adding a leaf, was that taking the truck to them and they do all the work? Or was it you bring them the springs? If its the first, thats not too bad IMO. But you should save a lot by pulling the springs out yourself.

But, did you ever determine what springs you have now?
FWIW I have a service manual for a 87
Just speaking to 2wd long bed, v6 trucks they show 3 different springs 1250, 1800, 2550 lbs.
The GVWR in order are 4200 4850 5930.
That number will be on the inside of your drivers door piller.
I can give you the short bed numbers as well if you want them.....
You may find that the 2550 is already heavier then what you have....

One other suggestion, If you are buying new springs, consider going ahead and replacing the shackles. ($40.00) for both of them. The 2 reasons I say this, 1. They catch a lot of dirt and rust out.... 2. You would then have all new bushings in the rear suspension.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!

Old 04-26-2018, 04:05 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

The GVWR is 04590, short bed. Springs??? Good idea on the shackles. I still need a good set of shocks for the back end.

Quick Reply: Heavy Duty Shocks??