Where is the the fuse for the overdrive switch in a 91 Dakota? - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 1st Gen Dakota Tech
Reload this Page >

Where is the the fuse for the overdrive switch in a 91 Dakota?

1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Where is the the fuse for the overdrive switch in a 91 Dakota?

Old 05-19-2018, 10:36 PM
Josh pitt
Default Where is the the fuse for the overdrive switch in a 91 Dakota?

My rpms are going way up at highway speeds and check engine light comes on. Iíve replaced the muffler, cat, had the fuel injection flushed and replaced fuel filter in the past two weeks but still having the issue. Today I unhooked the battery for 30min or so, and still no change

Old 05-19-2018, 11:52 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

probably either the OD solenoid on/in the trans or the back half of the trans needs freshened up....if I had to guess.....
How many times do you hear/feel it shift?

Old 05-20-2018, 12:05 AM
RalphP
Record Breaker

And, of course, what codes are produced by the Check Engine Light?

(Use the key dance - take a deep breath, then turn it on/off/on/off/on within something like 5 seconds, and then count the flashes of the CEL. You'll have at a minimum 5 blinks, a short pause, 5 blinks, and no more; you may have a blink, short pause, two blinks, longer pause, then the 5/short/5 pattern - 12 is "Lost Battery Power Within Last 50 Drive Cycles" and 55 is "No More Codes".)

RwP

Old 05-20-2018, 12:53 AM
Josh pitt

Originally Posted by volaredon View Post
probably either the OD solenoid on/in the trans or the back half of the trans needs freshened up....if I had to guess.....
How many times do you hear/feel it shift?
about 3-4 times, it usually never gets up to 3000, if Iím going 65-70, itís normally at 2200-2300, but now, going 45 is around there, and 55 is right under 3000
im not a car guy, but I can change a fuse, if I could just find the one that goes to it and look at it. Trucks been shocking me lately, left headlight has been replaced 4-5 times in the last two years, it keeps exploding, which has me thinking there something electrical going wrong.
Thanks for the reply 👍

Old 05-20-2018, 12:56 AM
Josh pitt

Originally Posted by RalphP View Post

(Use the key dance - take a deep breath, then turn it on/off/on/off/on within something like 5 seconds, and then count the flashes of the CEL. You'll have at a minimum 5 blinks, a short pause, 5 blinks, and no more; you may have a blink, short pause, two blinks, longer pause, then the 5/short/5 pattern - 12 is "Lost Battery Power Within Last 50 Drive Cycles" and 55 is "No More Codes".)

RwP
my odometer doesnít work, and thatís what the mechanic that hooked it up said it was saying

Old 05-20-2018, 01:10 AM
RalphP
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RalphP View Post

RwP
Originally Posted by Josh pitt View Post

my odometer doesnít work, and thatís what the mechanic that hooked it up said it was saying
OK.

What does that have to do with what I typed?

This is a 1st Gen; the error codes are shown by the CEL (Check Engine Light) blinking after the key dance.

The one that you say comes on in the original post?

Do the key dance, and it'll start blinking at you. Note the pattern of blinks; I'll bet you'll get a 12 and 55 at least, and probably others too.

RwP

Old 05-20-2018, 02:07 AM
DARKSID3HONDA2015

Originally Posted by Josh pitt View Post
My rpms are going way up at highway speeds and check engine light comes on. Iíve replaced the muffler, cat, had the fuel injection flushed and replaced fuel filter in the past two weeks but still having the issue. Today I unhooked the battery for 30min or so, and still no change
I'm having same issue it's more then likely your governor solenoid in the trans pan I'm dealing with same issue and thats ehat the code pulled is bad tcc sensor aka governor

Old 05-20-2018, 11:21 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker

on this series of trucks, most problems I see, don't produce codes...… not like the newer vehicles do. I get more "false codes" like the 37 comes to mind, I think that one is the part throttle unlock for the lockup converter.... another one is something for the AC.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:03 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DARKSID3HONDA2015 View Post
I'm having same issue it's more then likely your governor solenoid in the trans pan I'm dealing with same issue and thats ehat the code pulled is bad tcc sensor aka governor
91 doesn't have a governor solenoid.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:49 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

nope. that didn't start til 96.. still a solenoid in there to control the lockup converter
on the speedo not working they had an old school speedometer cable til 93.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is the the fuse for the overdrive switch in a 91 Dakota?

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: