1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Update on rear frame resto

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 12:08 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update on rear frame resto

So I was finally able to get my buddy over to do some welding on the bad spots of my frame. Welded in 2 pieces of 2x2 angle on the back to reinforce where the hitch mounts up as well as repair a hole under the rear leaf hangar. Patched and reinforced the are around the front hangars, and got the hole and crack in front of the driveway ersside parking brake bracket done. In the process right now of scuffing and repainting with por 15.

​​​​​

Old 05-28-2018, 05:32 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Very Nice!

Old 05-30-2018, 09:14 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

Paint is done. Got the last crossmember and the hitch mounted, fuel tank straps got painted, got the fuel tank mounted. Next up is new stainless fuel lines, new brake line, strip and paint rear leafs, rear differential, driveshaft etc. Here's a pic of where I'm at with it right now

Old 06-02-2018, 03:55 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking real good, that'll be a relief knowing you've put the brakes on that rust. What kind of fasteners are you planning to use to replace the rivets, and are you going to use any material between the spring leafs?

Old 06-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

I used all zinc plated grade 8 bolts washers lock washers and nuts. Once they were tight I spot welded the nut to the bolt just in case. Once I'm done prepping the leaf springs I'm going to por 15 them then I'll be adding Teflon leafspring pad between each leaf with stock style insulators on the end of each spring as well as adding new clamps

Old 06-02-2018, 05:38 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

I'm also waiting on my step dad to bring me some 5/16 and 3/16 stainless line that I'm going to use to make new fuel line. I'll also be mounting the fuel lines using rubber insulated clamps. Then it'll be on to the brake lines. Probably use stainless for those as well or I'll use plain steel and coat them with por 15 after they've been bent up

Old 06-03-2018, 09:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

The copper/nickel brake line is easy to work with, and far less prone to corrosion than the steel line.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:09 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ugh... this is all too familiar to me. Nice job.

But I got a '02 Silverado in my yard that is worse than my '93 Dakota was. Pathetic.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:59 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

Yeah not entirely sure what I'm gonna do on brake lines yet, but I've got this sinking suspicion that I'm about to be doing a full restoration on this truck .I've gotta take the cab off the frame to do all the sheet metal work on the bottom side of it so with all that frame exposed I'm not gonna be able to resist making it rust proof.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
Yeah not entirely sure what I'm gonna do on brake lines yet, but I've got this sinking suspicion that I'm about to be doing a full restoration on this truck .I've gotta take the cab off the frame to do all the sheet metal work on the bottom side of it so with all that frame exposed I'm not gonna be able to resist making it rust proof.
Paint the bottom side of the cab with the black stuff too.

Quick Reply: Update on rear frame resto