1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

My wallet is wounded!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 01:51 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Welp, another expense.

Saturday at 2:55:54 PM locally, a compressed air can (Dust Off brand) decided to release ALL its air at one time from the box in the front seat.

While it was doing this, it assumed the characteristics of a rocket.

So now I'm out a windshield and a passenger side window.

Not TOO bad; SafeLite is giving me a quantity discount on the windshield, being as how it's my sixth one (!!!) on the Dakota since 2010.

Side window - from the boneyard, it's $20. Door is $60. Safelite wants $160 + disposal + taxes. I MAY just do the whole door for a quicker swap; or the glass, and do the channel run while I've got it apart.

RwP

Old 08-19-2018, 03:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

What possessed the air can to do that????? Did you leave it in the sun, on a hot day???

How are you going thru windshields so quickly? Do folks get hazardous duty pay for riding with you?

Old 08-19-2018, 03:55 PM
RalphP
Champion

Hee!

Well, it WAS 99 yesterday, and yes, I have no shade where the truck parks.

I drive on Louisiana, Texas, and Arkansas highways. Sometimes my instructions to where I'm going include "Turn left off the dirt road" ...

RwP

Old 08-19-2018, 06:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Hee!

Well, it WAS 99 yesterday, and yes, I have no shade where the truck parks.

I drive on Louisiana, Texas, and Arkansas highways. Sometimes my instructions to where I'm going include "Turn left off the dirt road" ...

RwP
I live on the corner of two dirt roads..... I would like to be able to say my windshield is still intact, but, it came with the optional 'pre-cracked' windshield...... No new ones so far as I can tell though.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:53 PM
RalphP
Champion

I hit five boneyards; not a SINGLE good passenger side window to be had!

If the window was there, it was partially in the floorboard. Several times the DOOR was missing.

Le sigh. So I bit the bullet and scheduled a trip to Safelite to do both glasses Thursday AM.

RwP

Old 08-21-2018, 01:52 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Hey Ralph

I was looking on rockauto, and they show the glass ...... https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...dow+glass,6480

Old 08-21-2018, 09:46 PM
RalphP
Champion

Yes, they do.

But it's only $80 less than having Safelite install it; if Safelite breaks it, I don't pay until they get a good one in; and it's supposed to be 100F Saturday; let's let THEM do it in their shop!

RwP

Old 08-22-2018, 10:54 PM
RalphP
Champion

Got the window channel run changed tonight on the passenger side; wasn't as hard as I was dreading it might be.

Also have the outside belt line moldings; I'll get the Safelite guy to put the new one on instead of the old one.

Left the inside door panel off so it'd be easier on him.

Discovered that yes, the 1994 RAM tow mirror will fit; the studs, however, do not due to being too long. Ordered some 25mm (1") long studs tonight; I'll try again next week.

RwP

Old 08-23-2018, 10:11 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Got the window channel run changed tonight on the passenger side; wasn't as hard as I was dreading it might be.
Did you manage to avoid cutting yourself on that dang aluminum channel? I slice my thumb good on the first one.

[/QUOTE]Also have the outside belt line moldings; I'll get the Safelite guy to put the new one on instead of the old one.[/QUOTE]
I had to get larger dia screws for my driver side because the OE screws stripped when I reinstalled them. IDK why may be a previous owner but I did not recall the belt line being loose just old.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:49 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Did you manage to avoid cutting yourself on that dang aluminum channel? I slice my thumb good on the first one.
Also have the outside belt line moldings; I'll get the Safelite guy to put the new one on instead of the old one.[/QUOTE]
I had to get larger dia screws for my driver side because the OE screws stripped when I reinstalled them. IDK why may be a previous owner but I did not recall the belt line being loose just old.[/QUOTE]

Didn't cut myself on the passenger side.

Do you remember what size screws you bought? I don't have a full set.

Also, how did you get the middle-to-back screws in with the glass in?

RwP

Quick Reply: My wallet is wounded!