1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

My wallet is wounded!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:08 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

If I had my own shop, and another way to transport the seat, it'd been done at the same time.

Since I don't, I had to wait until it was back, then pull it out and have my stepson or my nephew transport said seat.

Now, while the seat is at the nephew's being recovered, I'm planning on picking up a new-to-me 8' bed to replace mine that looks like the truck lost at a demolition derby (No, it's looked like that since before the truck entered our family.)

Main problem with the "new" bed is that it's got a couple of chunks of paint missing. Le sigh.

RwP

Old 07-06-2018, 10:31 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
We always just resigned ourselves to the inevitable.... and tore it down completely. Then reconditioned each and every part before it went back on...... Takes a while, but, when you are done, there are less incidences of 'oops, that needs to be fixed', and its undriveable again.
Yup, that's what I did. Nice because I haven't had to give one thought to bushings, fuel, brake lines, brakes, bearings, etc for a long time...but I didn't touch the motor. And lo and behold, it was the next thing to go.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:11 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by tbugden
Yup, that's what I did. Nice because I haven't had to give one thought to bushings, fuel, brake lines, brakes, bearings, etc for a long time...but I didn't touch the motor. And lo and behold, it was the next thing to go.
ButOfCourse.

That's because it had a MIND (Murphy Imminent Need Detector, patent pending) of its own!

I have two cousins I mind all the time. One is from my Aunt Pentunia Case, named Justin Case. I keep buying stuff for him, he's nice and cool

Then there's the side with the legislatures who keep making all them laws. Especially Alloyisius Murphy. I don't like ANY of them, them and their stupid laws!

RwP

Old 07-07-2018, 08:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
ButOfCourse.

That's because it had a MIND (Murphy Imminent Need Detector, patent pending) of its own!

I have two cousins I mind all the time. One is from my Aunt Pentunia Case, named Justin Case. I keep buying stuff for him, he's nice and cool

Then there's the side with the legislatures who keep making all them laws. Especially Alloyisius Murphy. I don't like ANY of them, them and their stupid laws!

RwP
HeyYou's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:02 AM
RalphP
Champion

Dang it, HeyYou ...

Water heater blew out on Monday, guess where my "extra" cash is going?

RwP

Old 07-10-2018, 09:04 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know how you feel. I been rebuilding a car for my stepson for the last year and half. Almost have it finished and I will have dumped $4500 into a car he may or may not wreck.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Dang it, HeyYou ...

Water heater blew out on Monday, guess where my "extra" cash is going?

RwP
Another of HeyYou's laws: There is no such thing as 'extra' money. Just when you think you have some, you find an 'extra' bill that requires more 'extra' money than you thought you had.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:34 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got my motor opened up to find the bottom end noise I was experiencing and found this! This is a crate Mopar Engine...don't understand the windage tray interference.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

I feel for ya Ralph! All I can recommend is that you buy the best you can afford to and put it on top of 2" of that solid foam insulation (you can cut a circle with any saw or a sharp knife done carefully) and wrap it in duct wrap after its installed. Insulate the pipes too. If anyone tells you it will harm the thermostat then the thing is junk. A thermostat senses temperature and will go on and off according to what it is set at and how quality it is. If they discourage you from insulating it then the thermostat in it is junk and you'll be paying a lot extra in gas or electric bills to heat water.

robertmee, I never saw that angle. Am I to understand that the flaps missing broke off during operations? The interference may be a failure of one of the rod bearings??

Last edited by onemore94dak; 07-11-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:15 AM
RalphP
Champion

Dropped by yesterday on my way back from Garrison TX. Turns out the ACDelco set I had bought from RockAuto was the wrong set; the one that AutoZone was also the wrong set.

So it looks like first fire will be tonight.

RwP

Quick Reply: My wallet is wounded!