1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Engine stalling on 1991 Dakota 5,2l 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 01:19 AM
Jordan Ouellet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalling on 1991 Dakota 5,2l 4x4

Hi guys,

i recently bought a 1991 dakota 5,2l 4x4 and i have issues running it. The engine starts but stalls suddently. The previous owner told me that it happened when he put a new battery in. Today, when i pressed the gaz completely, the engine felt to like 500 rpm like if it wasnt receiving gaz and few seconds after it goes up. I held the gaz pedal for 30 seconds and it was consistently doing that. Trying to get rid of that problem, i noticed a high voltage on the cluster. When i start the engine, the fuel indicator goes empty. But when i put the key to On, it works good. When my dakota is idling, the engine runs but when i press the gaz it’s stalling. When i try to put it to Drive, it stalls or some time runs slow with difficulty.

I changed the IAC valve but it didnt solve the problem. I suspect the battery high voltage or a bad fuel pump.

Any suggestion?

I’ll be trying different batteries tomorrow.

Jordan

why o I tried my battery on my Civic into it

Last edited by Jordan Ouellet; 08-11-2018 at 01:23 AM. Reason: More details
Old 08-11-2018, 09:54 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Look on the FAQ page. There is a section near the top about codes. It explains how to get whatever codes have set by turning the key on and off then counting the flashes of the chkegn light.Start there, try not to spend money on parts until you diagnose it properly. The FAQ page has a lot of info you don;t even know you want to know yet

Old 08-11-2018, 11:45 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

My 87 engine is so different, being they were carbed that year, so my advise is limited.
But, all engines are the same, need, fuel, spark, and compression, to run......
If it was mine, I would start with a fuel pressure guage and and see, if you are loosing pressure. If so, its fuel pump, filter, or electrical.....
If pressure stays constant, its not the pump.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:28 PM
Jordan Ouellet
Default Reply

I scanned my engine and the codes 12 and 24 appeared : 24 is Tps is out of range. So i tried different things

first : run the engine normally
second start the engine without tps sensor
third start the engine with tps and unplug it while its running

result : i see no difference at all

i guess my tps sensor is broken...

jordan

Old 08-12-2018, 07:34 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jordan Ouellet

i guess my tps sensor is broken...

jordan

Guess is the key word here.....
Did you ever check fuel pressure? It is a common problem.....

Old 08-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Jordan Ouellet

I don’t have tools to check that... the pick up cannot move so it’s kinda hard to bring it to a garage... I ll try replacinh my tps and if that doesnt work ill check my gaz pressure... I think it went into limp mode because of that tps sensor so the pick up is ****ed up now haha

I ll give you news as soon as i receive that tps sensor !

thanks for your help buddy!

jordan

Old 08-12-2018, 08:13 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Jordan,

Autozone has the testers for free loan....... Other parts stores probably do too.
Just hate to see you throw money at parts guessing.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:14 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

The TPS takes a Torx wrench. The fuel pressure can be checked easily, if you can get to a parts store and borrow the tool. It will be a pressure gauge. Remember its gasoline so try to be careful. There is a shrader vale on the driver side fuel rail near the firewall. It looks like the same air valve on you tires. Connect the gauge and turn on the key to see if you get pressure. IDK the correct pressure for the 91 but my 94 is 35+ PSI. Then if its good you might consider changing the TPS.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 08-12-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:38 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
The TPS takes a Torx wrench. The fuel pressure can be checked easily, if you can get to a parts store and borrow the tool. It will be a pressure gauge. Remember its gasoline so try to be careful. There is a shrader vale on the driver side fuel rail near the firewall. It looks like the same air valve on you tires. Connect the gauge and turn on the key to see if you get pressure. IDK the correct pressure for the 91 but my 94 is 35+ PSI. Then if its good you might consider changing the TPS.
Jordan's truck is a 1991 - hence a TBI LA motor - hence no fuel rail.

Alas, Mother Mopar didn't include a fuel pressure test point on the TBI jobbers.

(And here's a nice sticking point - it's 14.5PSI; at about 15.1PSI the injectors can't lift!)

I'd also be checking the wiring TO the TPS.

Jordan - Before you panic too much or toss too many parts at it, spend about $30 ( $24 plus shipping, guessing on the shipping!) with RockAuto and buy the PDF copy of the factory service manual - it's the Bishko CD/DVD that they list.

Start there with trouble shooting.

RwP

Old 08-16-2018, 06:47 PM
Jordan Ouellet

Up

I changed the TPS sensor. Engine CODE : 12 and 55 Result PICK UP started very good but for 5 secondes ad ended up the same than before. I guess it's my fuel pressure. Am I Right?

Quick Reply: Engine stalling on 1991 Dakota 5,2l 4x4