1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How much damage have I caused?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 08:39 PM
BlueLiner
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much damage have I caused?

Today driving the truck to work (95 3.9 auto) i noticed a slight tick from motor. It got louder within a few hundred feet and i stopped immediately. I noticed the temp gauge had pegged out on Hot. Popped the hood the coolant overflow was full and had tossed some coolant on the ground. No visible leaks anywhere else. Truck was towed home.

i have driven the truck for the last 20k miles trouble free. When i replaced the intake plenum i did all new hoses, t stat, and new coolant. I did not replace the radiator cap. I change the oil religiously at 3000 miles. I inspect the coolant regularly and i do not add any as it does not lose coolant. I have never seen a trace of coolant in the oil.

my question to you guys is, bad head gaskets? And did i cause some internal damage from that ticking noise i heard? ThankS in advance all!

Old 08-28-2018, 09:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Ticking was from engine being WAY too hot. Need to find out WHY it overheated. Fix that, and then see what other damage happened. Might get lucky, might not....

Old 08-28-2018, 10:10 PM
BlueLiner
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ticking was from engine being WAY too hot. Need to find out WHY it overheated. Fix that, and then see what other damage happened. Might get lucky, might not....
possibly the head gasket or a bad radiator cap. It was very sudden i have not hd any coolant system issues with this truck.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:18 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

stuck thermostat? They do that occasionally

Old 08-29-2018, 02:23 AM
BlueLiner
Amateur

Quick Update.

I got home and truck was cooled down completely. I started it up and no funny noises but there was a rough idle. Coolant overflow was still full. Cracked the radiator cap off and the radiator appeared to be empty and super corroded and dirty inside. Im going to pull the plugs tomorrow and see what they look like.

Any recommendations on running a head gasket test as ive never done one.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:22 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueLiner
Quick Update.

I got home and truck was cooled down completely. I started it up and no funny noises but there was a rough idle. Coolant overflow was still full. Cracked the radiator cap off and the radiator appeared to be empty and super corroded and dirty inside. Im going to pull the plugs tomorrow and see what they look like.

You tube man.....

Old 08-29-2018, 09:21 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Tic noise is usually attributed to the timing chain lacking the tensioner as built. the tensioner was a TSB add on.
In my case it turned out to be the exhaust manifold studs having broken. That is also common on the magnums. I have the 94 3.9. I also had a running hot situtation. I fixed the exhaust manifold studs tic went away. then I went with a 180 thermostat and it no longer runs hot even with AC on. IDK if there is a connection but I also have a new radiator due to a leak.I forget if I did it after the lower temp thermostat or not.
After you check to see if your head gaskets failed check the exhaust manifold studs. turned out mine also had no gasket.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Tic noise is usually attributed to the timing chain lacking the tensioner as built. the tensioner was a TSB add on.
In my case it turned out to be the exhaust manifold studs having broken. That is also common on the magnums. I have the 94 3.9. I also had a running hot situtation. I fixed the exhaust manifold studs tic went away. then I went with a 180 thermostat and it no longer runs hot even with AC on. IDK if there is a connection but I also have a new radiator due to a leak.I forget if I did it after the lower temp thermostat or not.
After you check to see if your head gaskets failed check the exhaust manifold studs. turned out mine also had no gasket.
There are no gaskets from the factory.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:17 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueLiner
Quick Update.

When I was chasing down a coolant problem on my build (bad thermostat out of the box), I feared blown HG too. Go to Advance Auto and they have a chemical combustion kit they'll loan you for free. Basically a test tube, with a siphon bulb. You have to buy the bottle of chemical (about $7). You add the chemical, put the test tube over the radiator fill hole, suck up some fluid with the engine running, and it will turn colors if combustion gases are detected. I found the youtube method of watching for bubbles completely unreliable, but maybe you'll have better luck.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:44 PM
BlueLiner
Amateur

Wel upon doing a closer inspection, the drain plug on radiator had blown off from the pressure. Truck starts right up but idles poorly. I pulled all the plugs and they looked clean. I couldnt fill with coolant yer because i need to get a new drain plug however the radiator is in horrible shape and is getting replaced as is the fan clutch and water pump. The ticking noise is no longer there.

Quick Reply: How much damage have I caused?