1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Quick brake bandaid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 12:46 PM
chasebh89
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the dangers but I currently only have 1 running vehicle that I need to drive to work every day, so as they say in the star wars universe

I've got an appointment in a couple days to have it fixed so it just need to keep on stopping till then

Old 10-30-2018, 07:00 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by chasebh89
I know the dangers but I currently only have 1 running vehicle that I need to drive to work every day, so as they say in the star wars universe

I've got an appointment in a couple days to have it fixed so it just need to keep on stopping till then
within these next couple of days you could fix it! That's just it sometimes bandaids don't work and with out ALL the brakes working, you might NOT stop. Don't be afraid of it, job aint that bad. Done it MANY times on my own and others' vehicles.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:53 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Allow me to fill you in on what could happen when you bandaid a brake system. As this happened to me.....I now know better. I had a 90 f150 I dlove around when I lived in AZ. I grew up on a farm and was used to bandaiding tractors. I had a hole in the hard line that went from my prop valve to the t for the front brakes. It wasn't large but if you stepped on the brakes brake fluid would spray all over. So me thinking myself smart I cleaned the hole with brake clean, then hit it with a wire wheel cleaned it with some wax and grease remover and patched the hole with jb weld. A week later the truck was totaled. Never skimp on brakes, not ever. Never bandaid them. Excuses are like butholes and we all have them. But there's never an excuse for something like that. Those brakes fail on your way to work or on the way to get parts when you're trying to stop for a kid in the cross walk or when pulling up to a light or on the freeway and you hurt yourself or worse. Sorry if I sound like an *** but there's some things you don't do no matter what.
fix them and fix them right.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:24 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

yup and with today's lawsuit happy society if the other party involved had ANY inkling that you might have known about such a defect (pinching off the line would be a pretty good indicator of that) they'd have your A$$!!!!!!! Fix it, fix it right and fix it before you drive that truck ANY more!

Old 11-01-2018, 08:13 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
yup and with today's lawsuit happy society if the other party involved had ANY inkling that you might have known about such a defect (pinching off the line would be a pretty good indicator of that) they'd have your A$$!!!!!!! Fix it, fix it right and fix it before you drive that truck ANY more!
I do not think anyone here can emphasize that enough.

DO NOT DRIVE IT WITH IMPAIRED BRAKES.

Even at best, the brakes are abysmal on these trucks; put on a load with no rear brakes, and ...

RwP

Old 11-01-2018, 10:29 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ralph is right, at best these breaks already suck.
but there's ways to go about fixing that.
The fronts really aren't that bad, a set of drilled and slotted rotors for the front, ceramic pads, and new calipers make a huge difference, a very huge noticeable difference. As for the rears, they just suck. Switching to the 10inch brakes help alot. But still suck when pulling a load, if you're mechanically inclined you can swap in an axle with disc brakes. There's a guy on here that swapped in an 8.8 rear end from a ford Explorer with minimal work and now he's got 4 wheel discs. Me personally I think it's blasphemous and would've found a way to keep it Mopar. However with the truck I'm restoring right now everything on the brake system will be brand new, the rear brakes are already finished and the only part of the rear brakes that weren't replaced is the backing plates and even those got sandblasted and inspected before being painted. All the springs, pins, adjusters, shoes, wheel cylinders, and drums are brand new. I'm running my own stainless brake lines, flaring them myself, using new fittings, new rubber insulated clamps to hold them in place, I've got a brand new t that mounts to the rear end, new prop valve, new booster, new master cylinder and a new check valve. I'll be using brand new high temp silicone fluid (it holds up to higher temops alot better than dot 3/4). When I step on my brakes I dont want the last thought that goes through my mind to be oh crap did I crimp that fitting down hard enough with my pliers

Old 11-02-2018, 12:45 PM
chasebh89
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got it all fixed, new brake line from the master cylinder back, new lines on the axle, new slave cylinders, shoes, and spring set. Everything is all good until something else breaks, and I've got line left over to fix that.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by chasebh89
I got it all fixed, new brake line from the master cylinder back, new lines on the axle, new slave cylinders, shoes, and spring set. Everything is all good until something else breaks, and I've got line left over to fix that.
Good deal. You shouldn't have to deal with any of that again, for quite some time.

Quick Reply: Quick brake bandaid?