1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Quick brake bandaid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:00 PM
chasebh89
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick brake bandaid?

So I've been battling a brake leak recently of the rear brake splitter mounted on the diff (rubber hose is leaking) and as I was pulling line off I realized there is an alarmingly large hole in the brake line that goes to the hose/splitter. It's the main line that runs to the booster/front and is behind the fuel tank (for easy and convenient removal). Is there any sort of bandaid I can do to get me through a few days till I can get it in a brake shop? I've thought about crimping the end where it's leaking with some pliers. Front brakes still work so it's still drivable but I don't trust it much anymore. Other Dakota is KIA until further notice so this is what I need to drive (20 miles into town)

Old 10-25-2018, 01:11 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah I think the best you can do is crimp the line and drive very carefully. Theres no bandaid fix that i know that will hold up to the pressure that the brake fluid is under. Well better than that would be to get it towed but I'd guess that isn't an option to you.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Replace the line? Just run the new one along side the old, and secure it where you can reach.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:49 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Replace the line? Just run the new one along side the old, and secure it where you can reach.

I agree,

You can even buy it in lengths from 8in. to 60 or so and then add a coupling to extend it on. FWIW I believe it ends on the frame about 2-3 feet from the front wheel. You should see a block there that it ties too.
But if it's rusted into there, its probably weak on up the frame.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:03 PM
chasebh89
Rookie

Would it be possible to put a bolt in the brake booster to block it off while I replace the lines? I've got only enough line to fix the rear axle so I have to go into town again. Plus it would be nice for it to not leak brake fluid everywhere

Old 10-25-2018, 03:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

I don't recommend that. Call a friend to give you a ride into town.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:31 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Just for clarification, This is the brake booster. and its mounted to the fire wall

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Brake...2:pf:0&vxp=mtr

This is a universal proportioning valve, mounted on the frame. About 2-3 feet from the front wheel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-G...5:pf:0&vxp=mtr

I believe the brake line only goes from the real axle to this valve. Again, you can run it beside the the old line and tie as you can, ie wire ties etc,

An no, you cannot use a bolt to plug it. It is a flare fitting.....

Old 10-25-2018, 08:59 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

On an 89, he may have it easier; for 1988, they had a load sensitive proportioning valve in front of the front spring mount for the rear leaf spring (the front, rear spring mount. Heh. THAT sounds confusing!)

He'll only need to run to that for now.

I'd also replace from there to the front combination valve as soon as possible.

Since it's easier to reach with the bed off, I'd also plan on rebuilding the fuel pump, replacing ALL the rubber back there, etc.

But it's not my truck

RwP

Old 10-25-2018, 10:44 PM
chasebh89
Rookie

I crimped it off for now so I can drive it. Going to get a roll of tube and bend it up to fix it later. Don't like it but it'll have to do until Monday or so until I can get it in a shop

Old 10-27-2018, 05:58 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

DO NOT I mean DO NOT band aid ANYTHING having to do with brakes!!! EVER!!!!! If you do, you may be sorry later!

Quick Reply: Quick brake bandaid?