1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dakota Warrior??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 05:15 PM
otis_771
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota Warrior??

hey guys i need help, looking for anyone with info on the lil red and warrior dakotas, i just bought a 92 Dakota that has the fiberglass step side and rear tube bumper, it was originally black but has been painted over, i would like to know if anyone knows a for sure way to tell it it was an original warrior? I ran the vin through chrysler for build options but nothing jumped out except “delete rear bumper” im assuming that the box was original when new and not added later, it is also built with all the best options, besides being fully loaded it also has the magnum 5.2, 46RH, 8.25” with 3.90s and a limited slip all from
factory, want to know if its worth restoring as a warrior

Old 02-27-2019, 10:54 AM
Noonbailey501
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may not know mich about the Dakota warrior but I feel it is worth the investment those truckss are more rare as far as I can look up. parts may be even harder like the bed but it looks good everything else cab and up look from a reg Dakota. How much do they want for it and base it off of that I personally wouldn’t pay over 1k especially if it’s from a junk yard

Old 02-28-2019, 01:52 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

If you are looking to restore, look closely at the frame, especially where the control arms mount, and the rear springs mount.... Those seem to be the prime rust spots on the frame.
I had never heard of it till you mentioned them....
Just reading it appears there were only 250 made.
A company by the name of L.E.R. Industries in Edwardsburg, MI did the conversions.
Also found this link that may be of interest. And from it, I believe you have the correct rear bumper.... http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=449849941

If you do restore it, keep us posted and with pictures!! Good luck!!

Old 03-10-2019, 08:36 AM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is a 92 warrior.. , you just scored a heck of a rare truck.. apparently only like 40 92's were built... .. i still miss my 92 dakota... but regardless there is a way to verify the vin, maybe with company that modified them..

Old 01-27-2020, 08:25 PM
Dakota Express

Good find. I bought a 90 Dakota Red Express last year and currently restoring the chassis. I've been doing research on the amount of builds and found that the LER sticker on the driver door post has a 5 digit production number that starts with 97. The last 3 digits are sequence number that started with 001 to the highest number I've found is 97503. My truck is 97066. Can you tell me the number on your Warrior?

Another item I've noticed is the vin third digit. On the 90 and 91s the third digit is 6. Not sure about the 92s. Normally it should be 7 which means truck. 6 means incomplete vehicle therefore finished somewhere else besides the Dodge assembly line.

Good luck with restoration

Old 01-28-2020, 11:03 AM
otis_771
Amateur

i have done tons of research on these things, even called the original selling dealer of my truck, unfortunately dodge must not have thought there would be a huge following for these trucks as information is very hard to come by, doesnt help that so little numbers were built, i actually worked at a chrysler dealer when i got my truck so i was able to decode my vin with their database, from what i have found the stepside conversion was done at dealer or subletted to L.E.R or other shops, AFTER the trucks hit the lot, i have gotten my hands on my original build sheet from dealer as well as one from another confirmed true warrior (have a pic of original bill of sale with warrior package $5000 add on), because the conversion was done after original assembly there is nothing in the build sheets about it, the only thing i noticed was both trucks had a build option called "rear bumper delete" this was also verified when talking to original selling dealer, it is my understanding that the trucks came from the factory with a standard short box bed and no rear bumper, the dealers or upfitting shop then bought the bed/rear bumper/graphic kit from L.E.R and removed the stock bed and installed the kit, both the warrior vins i have show the 5th digit as a 7 for truck not 6 for incomplete and from what i have found the warriors were not numbered like the lil reds were, at least not in the later years, i did find that 92 was a leftover year, meaning either dodge still had a contract with L.E.R to fulfill or just still had left over kits, which may be why numbers were so low and were not recorded/numbered well, i have not looked into the lil reds much so the earlier lil red trucks may have been done differently, maybe they were converted at the assembly plant, they did have bigger numbers and more of a following, i also noticed that both the warrior vins i have had the same build options: LE editions, fully loaded all power options, a/c, magnum 5.2/46RH(518)/8.25"axle with 3.90 gears and a limited slip, black exterior with crimson red interior with bucket seats and center console. come spring i plan to dig into mine and get it restored to how it should look and be, always looking for more info on this things tho

Old 01-28-2020, 05:32 PM
Dakota Express

Thanks for the reply. Your are correct, 1992 was a cleanup year from what I have found also. I have found ads in Mopar magazines in early 1992 where LER was selling red express kits. You could buy a step side box for $1995 delivered or buy the complete kit for $3350. More evidence of cleaning out stock.
The 92s do have better options. 90 and 91 were base models. At least mine does have AC,PS,PB.
Your Warrior has the original rear bumper, the only recent pic I've seen with it. I'm having a bumper built so I can remove the step bumper.
Would send pics but not sure of how to get them posted. Keep me posted of anything you find while doing your research. Also looking for a factory cruise control system. Can't find any pre magnum units.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakota Express
Thanks for the reply. Your are correct, 1992 was a cleanup year from what I have found also. I have found ads in Mopar magazines in early 1992 where LER was selling red express kits. You could buy a step side box for $1995 delivered or buy the complete kit for $3350. More evidence of cleaning out stock.
The 92s do have better options. 90 and 91 were base models. At least mine does have AC,PS,PB.
Your Warrior has the original rear bumper, the only recent pic I've seen with it. I'm having a bumper built so I can remove the step bumper.
Would send pics but not sure of how to get them posted. Keep me posted of anything you find while doing your research. Also looking for a factory cruise control system. Can't find any pre magnum units.
Upload your pics to some image hosting site, like photobucket, or imageshack, or similar. Then use image tags to post them here. Most of the image hosting sites will offer bbcode that you can just copy and paste into your post, to embed the pics.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:34 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

I know this is off base, but a 5.2 mag, 3.90 gear, and a Short bed, 2wd, would be fun for 0 to 60!!

Old 01-29-2020, 07:31 AM
Dakota Express

Absolutely would be fun. Or even 5.9 R/T motor. But 2020 marks my 50th year of being a Mopar Motorhead and this will be my last restoration and will remain a 3.9. It's the first non V8 I've worked on.

Quick Reply: Dakota Warrior??