1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

start /no start

Old 05-07-2019, 08:45 AM
Battlewes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry start /no start

Hello im at wits end ive got a 93 Dakota with a 5.2 4x4 truck ran great up to 2 months ago. It first happen when I let a friend use it. It died on him had it towed put battery charger on it since he cranked it dead. went to it after 2 day started right up. didn't drive it just let it idle ran for a while. first off the gas guage dosent work but low fuel light does. plus I put 5 gallons it . still havnt figured the gauge and light deal. Im by myself doin all this. but long story short it died and not started. Then next day same thing but for4 only 2 min then died wouldnt start. I tried to do the testing from utube. but like I said im by myself.
But being amazon is cheap I bought a coil first no help the crank sensor nada.But I did spay berryman in throttle body didn't kick over no spark. Im sorry about the crap typing im disabled dont do much typing. Please help any advice I will take seriously.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Need to verify whats missing.... Spark, or fuel. Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you first turn the key? Got a buddy you can draft to help you test things??

Old 05-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Battlewes

I figured its not getting fire thinking spraying stuff in the throttle body it would start and cant cant hear well but if I press down on the fuel rail fitting gas sprays out but only for a sec the then after cranking on it its got pressure again. im going to put a new fuel pump in it but want make sure it will start and stay running

Old 05-07-2019, 09:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

You can rent a pressure gauge from your local parts store, and test fuel pressure. No point spending money that may or may not fix it.

I have drafted one of the neighbor kids to help out when I couldn't find anyone else. Yeah, I got some odd looks..... but, a second set of hands makes life much easier.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:21 AM
Battlewes

I was going to do that but shouldn't pouring gas into intake or the carb cleaner make it kick over if it was fuel but im also not getting spark I took a old plug t and used a jumper wire to ground it . no spark

Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Autozone will rent items for a deposit they give you back when you return it. I think Oreilly's does too.
Check your fuses and relays. IDK how to test the relays.
I have never heard my fuel pump come on when I turn the key. It runs fine. If you replace the pump the float arm faces forward. That arm being placed wrong was what prevented my fuel gauge from working. Apparently gauge wiring failure is common on the Dak.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:21 AM
Battlewes

I know autozone does but what I saying if fuel pump pouring gas into intake it should kick over and I got preasure on fuel rail when I turn key on just at beginning but fuel sprays out..so I probly need to get fuse and relay diagram and switch so relays around if able. I can always run out to pull and save and get some. I was thinking maybe pickup coil in distributer. o and thanks for the advice both of you

Old 05-07-2019, 11:21 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Check autozone's website they may have the diagrams you want. There is a 95 and 96 Factory Service manual in the FAQ section and you can get one by Bishko (The OE publisher) off ebay pretty cheap on CD.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...service+manual

Old 05-07-2019, 07:00 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd check basic tuneup parts 1st as it sounds like nothing has been done to this truck in a long time. got any codes? back then useful codes were fewer and farther between out of the check engine lite

Old 05-07-2019, 08:09 PM
Battlewes

on the contrary all new plud cap and rotor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: start /no start