1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dakota, Crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2019 | 01:52 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by bronze
Almost 13 weeks since reconditioning computer connector and still no problems with engine cutting out.

Looks like you've tracked it down and got it fixed. Feels good doesn't it?

The following users liked this post:
bronze (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019 | 02:31 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Looks like you've tracked it down and got it fixed. Feels good doesn't it?
Indeed it does, Grouch. It's been a long and frustrating ordeal that goes back several years. Trying numerous fixes that did not solve the problem before finally getting to the end. There is nothing worse than random/intermittent problems whether it be an automobile or anything else. I would prefer if whatever was wrong would just blow up with smoke pouring out and springs flying all over the place. At least I'd know where to look. This process of elimination is never a comforting way to solve problems. But I did get a good saying out of it (from Ralph). "Fix what you can, what's left is what's wrong". I'm surprised my late father didn't teach me that saying. It would just be nice if it came at the front end of the journey instead of the back end.

RalphP (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019 | 04:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Indeed it does, Grouch. It's been a long and frustrating ordeal that goes back several years. Trying numerous fixes that did not solve the problem before finally getting to the end. There is nothing worse than random/intermittent problems whether it be an automobile or anything else. I would prefer if whatever was wrong would just blow up with smoke pouring out and springs flying all over the place. At least I'd know where to look. This process of elimination is never a comforting way to solve problems. But I did get a good saying out of it (from Ralph). "Fix what you can, what's left is what's wrong". I'm surprised my late father didn't teach me that saying. It would just be nice if it came at the front end of the journey instead of the back end.
Well, the solution is always the last thing you try, no matter how many things you have tried previously. After all, it's kinda silly to keep working at it, after it's fixed.

Old 12-26-2019 | 05:18 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Well, the solution is always the last thing you try, no matter how many things you have tried previously. After all, it's kinda silly to keep working at it, after it's fixed.
Yes, you are correct and state the obvious. However, in my case, I was down to my second to last possible solution (replacing the computer was the very last). Meanwhile, I had tried about a dozen other things prior to the solution. Everything is relative.

Old 12-26-2019 | 06:28 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Yes, you are correct and state the obvious. However, in my case, I was down to my second to last possible solution (replacing the computer was the very last). Meanwhile, I had tried about a dozen other things prior to the solution. Everything is relative.

I have relatives. That's why I like living alone.

Experience is what you get AFTER you needed it in the first place. Down the road a bit, someone will have the same issue and you can say "I had the same thing and it was.....". How do you think I know so much about the issues people have here. I've either owned or worked on something that had a similar problem.

bronze (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019 | 07:19 PM
RalphP
Champion

I HATE intermittents with a passion. Good news, it's usually a connection somewhere when it's intermittent.

That quote is a riff on Sherlock Holmes - "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" So you eliminate things, going at it logically and by trusting in past experience. Also - if you know A is broke, don't worry about B that depends on A until A is fixed! Dead battery? Why worry about the headlights not working, until the battery is fixed! And so on.

RwP

bronze (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019 | 07:52 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I have relatives. That's why I like living alone.

Experience is what you get AFTER you needed it in the first place. Down the road a bit, someone will have the same issue and you can say "I had the same thing and it was.....". How do you think I know so much about the issues people have here. I've either owned or worked on something that had a similar problem.
I always make sure I document my findings here because it could be useful to someone else. I learn fixes from others who have done the same thing. It bugs me when someone has a problem but doesn't impart what they did to fix it.

The following 2 users liked this post by bronze:
RalphP (12-26-2019), tndakman (12-27-2019)
Old 12-26-2019 | 08:04 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RalphP
I HATE intermittents with a passion. Good news, it's usually a connection somewhere when it's intermittent.

That quote is a riff on Sherlock Holmes - "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" So you eliminate things, going at it logically and by trusting in past experience. Also - if you know A is broke, don't worry about B that depends on A until A is fixed! Dead battery? Why worry about the headlights not working, until the battery is fixed! And so on.

RwP
True. Electrical is the first thing I think of when it is intermittent. Sadly for me, electrical is my weakest skill.

I was fortunate to have a brilliant father, an engineer and inventor, who taught me how to think things thru. Process of elimination, root cause, measure twice cut once, etc... Basic analytical skills. As weak as my electrical prowess is, I can at least have a coherent discussion with someone (such as yourself) who knows electrical well and be able to understand why I'm being given the advice that I am. I'm also pretty good at detecting a BS artist. I kind of chuckle as I write that. My muffler is starting to go. I remember one of those quick lube dudes told me my exhaust was on its way out. That was 18 years ago and I'm on the same exhaust system. I knew it was BS then. I never liked any one working on my vehicles. Not even to change oil. Had to then cuz I had no time to do it myself. But after that I found time and that punk reminded me why.

Old 02-29-2020 | 08:42 AM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

21 weeks and my engine still has not cut out. I'm calling it fixed!

Old 04-06-2020 | 11:40 AM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

UPDATE: Been more than a half year and my engine conked out again 15 seconds after I started it. After a handful of failed tries to restart it, I tapped on the connector with a screwdriver handle and it fired right up again. Has to be the computer. There's nothing left to try.

Quick Reply: 93 Dakota, Crank but no start