1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

So what are you doing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 09:08 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Today was exhausting

Got the old Y-pipe off, new Y-pipe on (note to others: Helped that my stepson came over so he could work from the top of the truck while I was under the bottom. )

Got the O2 sensor in.

Got the new cat in, along with the extension tube.

New muffler was too long and the inlet and outlet were too big (!!!) 24" overall Thrush glasspack, 2.5" inlet and outlet. Which, since I've had it almost two years, cannot be returned.

Can't put the tailpipe in yet; the old muffler is still too long, and it just won't fit with the tailpipe without cutting off the extension tube. Which, nope, nyet, nada, no way in hell.

So it's in with the old glasspack, end hanging out just past where the rear should clamp. Front is clamped, so I'm not too worried about it (tailpipe goes through the hanger and the exhaust pipe clamp sits in it and bolts through it.)

So there's that.

I'll know how it runs Monday or maybe even tomorrow.

RwP

Old 04-19-2020, 08:06 PM
Bryce V. Fowler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well boys I tore into the rear end of my 7.25", and turns out she's ALLLLLL bunged up. There was maybe a whole shotglass worth of oil in there. Wheels will turn in reverse fairly free but one won't go forward at all and the other is a huge pain in the *** to get going forward. I've got to go get some jackstands tomorrow and a few cinder blocks to get up underneath the parts truck so I can get started with the fun stuff. And I did get the radio installed, but turns out my front passenger wire(s) are toasted. And I definitely need a set of 6x9 (they are 6x9 in the back, right?). But damn wasn't it nice to turn on the truck radio while I tore apart that rear end!!!

Old 04-19-2020, 08:36 PM
RalphP
Champion

Bryce V. Fowler - factory is a 5x7/6x8 speaker.

Some minor work and bolting to the B pillar instead of the trim, and you might be able to work 6x9s back there.

I've got a set of Pioneer speakers to go back there on mine when I finally get around to replacing the plastics ... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NF5EQDY/

I'll add that they couold use some more bass, but that's what the behind-seat subwoofer's for, innit? Maybe something like https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NF5EQDY/.

RwP

Old 04-20-2020, 09:45 PM
Bryce V. Fowler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I can get the old speakers from my Titan to fit then, I believe those are 6x9.

Absolutely nothing Dakota related, but I did get the engine into my 1980 Honda Goldwing, and got her to fire for a few seconds. I lent the battery to my Moms generator while she lost power during the storm, so my poor little Magna battery ended up pooching. My battery charger/booster is pretty well junk, but it'll at least trickle charge over night. Hopefully I can dial it in tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
RalphP (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 09:13 AM
RalphP
Champion

She's a touch loud, but she purrs like a kitten!

Smooth, steady, and is more willing to try to pull than I remember her ever being.

Thumbs up on new exhaust.

Now to borrow the O2 socket set from O'Reilly's to clamp down the O2 sensor, pack the seams with "muffler caulk" ( an example here ), and when the new muffler arrives, put it in with the tailpipe.

Then the A.I.R. pump up front and connect the hoses for that to the cat.

Exhaust should be good to go for at least 100,000 miles - or about 3 years for me.

RwP

Old 04-21-2020, 02:40 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryce V. Fowler
Maybe I can get the old speakers from my Titan to fit then, I believe those are 6x9.

Absolutely nothing Dakota related, but I did get the engine into my 1980 Honda Goldwing, and got her to fire for a few seconds. I lent the battery to my Moms generator while she lost power during the storm, so my poor little Magna battery ended up pooching. My battery charger/booster is pretty well junk, but it'll at least trickle charge over night. Hopefully I can dial it in tomorrow.

My first 'Wing was a 1980 Standard. Between the tail pipes (baffles removed) and that timing belt whine at speed, it just sounded purposeful. Alas, a woman in a minivan decided to occupy the space I was in on the road.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:28 PM
RalphP
Champion

That sucks, ol'grouch.

Glad you survived!

RwP

Old 04-21-2020, 09:26 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by RalphP
That sucks, ol'grouch.

Glad you survived!

RwP

My current, and last, 'Wing is one that people can't seem to see.

However, Honda got rid of the little beep beep horns of the past for some horns that are LOUD. People may not see it, but they sure can hear it.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

How can someone NOT see a BRIGHT yellow bike??

Old 04-21-2020, 09:32 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How can someone NOT see a BRIGHT yellow bike??

I've had people roll up to a stop sign and look right through me then pull out in front. I don't know what horns Honda put on those but I want some for my pickup.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 04-21-2020 at 09:33 PM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn

Quick Reply: So what are you doing?