1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

A huge thank you

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 06:16 PM
nvshell1
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink A huge thank you

Hello Everyone. This post goes out to all of you guys that were there for me. Because of all you great advice and devoted knowledge of the Dakotas and knowledge of how temperamental they can be, My truck is running and purring like a kitten. I'm sure she is going to need more TLC after sitting so long and being neglected like she was. And when that day comes, I will be right back on here seeking advice from all you great people on the dodge 1st gen Dakota's forum. Thanks everybody. Much love. Going to take her for a test drive.

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (05-15-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 06:44 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

What was the last thing you did, for others to follow?

RwP

tndakman (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 02:57 PM
nvshell1
Rookie

Wow. I’m back to square one today. Crank no start. I finally got it to start after releasing some fuel out of the fuel pressure gauge thing under the hood. Started backing out of the driveway and it stalled again. Got it started again using same technique. Releasing fuel from the fuel pressure test thing. Looked at freeze codes on the obdII AND IT SAID P1391 and P9351. I did I monitor or what ever and got the long and short term fuel loads, map was at 40 and it said fuel system one was open fuel system 2 was okay

Old 05-15-2020, 03:01 PM
nvshell1
Rookie

Before I got the truck started the first time by releasing the fuel I did disconnect the wire going to coil for a second and then put it back in do that may have caused the codes to come up

Old 05-15-2020, 03:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Nope, you are still having sensor issues. Are they real mopar sensors in there? If not, that's gonna be the place to start.... If they are, time to chase the wiring.

tndakman (05-16-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 04:23 PM
nvshell1
Rookie

The harness plug for the fuel pump was really loose and the clip to hold it was broke off. My nephew supposedly zip tied the harness together. I’m sure he probably did it half *** like everything else he does. I don’t like half ***. Anyway I believe there is a short somewhere cuz the overdrive comes on by itself, the light for the cruise control will flash once in a while, and the washer wiper will squirt a little fluid once in a while

Old 05-15-2020, 04:24 PM
nvshell1
Rookie

Electrical is way out of my league

Old 05-15-2020, 04:27 PM
nvshell1
Rookie

The sensors I replaced were not mop at. Does it really make that much of a difference with the sensors. Are these trucks that temperamental when it comes to the sensors. It ran great yesterday

Old 05-15-2020, 05:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

For the critical sensors, like the crank, and cam position sensors, along with O2 sensors, brand can be critical. These trucks are incredibly picky about those. For the TPS, and some of the others, not so much, and you can get away with the less expensive fellers. The V-6 engines are ESPECIALLY picky about the crank sensor, simply because of what it has to read. There is a window, then two close together..... the aftermarket sensors don't accurately read the double window, and that confuses the PCM. I don't think that is the issue in your case though. I believe you have a heat soak problem. Something is getting hot, and failing. Either that, or you have a sensor that is being truly erratic..... and I would suspect the two-wire coolant temp sensor, simply because it will start again (but run like crap) when you blow off some pressure on the fuel system. Can you read engine temp via your scanner when it is running bad??

Old 05-16-2020, 09:47 PM
nvshell1
Rookie

I haven't even tried to start the truck today. because the OBDII said that fuel system had an open circuit and I know the plug is bad I ordered the pigtail to replace it. I have to drop the tank again anyway because the rollover valve line stem got broke off when the tank was being put back in. I saw the line just dangling to confirm and they didn't put the hose clamp on the big line coming out of the pump, nor did they put the metal guard back on to protect the tank. I found it behind the garbage cans when I took the trash out to the street. I have no understanding of why they even put the tank back in know things weren't done or were broken. Any how, I only got a engine coolant temp of 86F on the scanner. Once I get the pigtail for the pump and clean the harness connectors and get it all back together ill take it from there, and see how she acts. that wont be till next weekend when the office staff are not here. Otherwise its a lease violation. Don't need that.

Quick Reply: A huge thank you