1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New guy -- no headlights, brake lights, or horn!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 07:32 PM
Killjoys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wouldn't you believe it

I just bought my buddies beat up '91 3.9l dodge dakota as a bit of a project and I am having the exact same issues, Headlights, Brake lights, and horn all aren't working but all 4 hazards and turn signals are working just peachy. I tried reading through the whole thread but I have no idea what the electrical stuff means...Can I get a brief rundown of how to fix this?

Old 10-11-2021, 07:36 PM
Killjoys

Also if you guys think there is an easier solution (replacing light fixtures or whatnot) let me know, it doesn't have to be pretty, just needs to work haha.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:08 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Killjoys
I just bought my buddies beat up '91 3.9l dodge dakota as a bit of a project and I am having the exact same issues, Headlights, Brake lights, and horn all aren't working but all 4 hazards and turn signals are working just peachy. I tried reading through the whole thread but I have no idea what the electrical stuff means...Can I get a brief rundown of how to fix this?
If you have no idea what the electrical stuff means, the brief rundown is "Find a competent mechanic, open your wallet, and keep smiling until she or he quits taking money out. And DON'T BITCH."

Other one is study and learn what it all means.

RwP

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (10-13-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 08:41 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 439 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
If you have no idea what the electrical stuff means, the brief rundown is "Find a competent mechanic, open your wallet, and keep smiling until she or he quits taking money out. And DON'T BITCH."

Other one is study and learn what it all means.

RwP
And never cry uncle.

The following 2 users liked this post by bronze:
RalphP (10-13-2021), tndakman (10-13-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 09:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Unless your uncle is a mechanic.

The following 2 users liked this post by HeyYou:
RalphP (10-13-2021), tndakman (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 09:20 AM
riggler
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Ralph’s comment, but first place to look IMO opinion given your symptoms is that bulkhead connector as depicted in my pictures. Re-read those posts and descriptions until you understand. You may have other issues but based on what you say that bulkhead connector could be your problem as well.

BE CAREFUL IF YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Get a friend to help you.

tndakman (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 09:36 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Also if you guys think there is an easier solution (replacing light fixtures or whatnot) let me know, it doesn't have to be pretty, just needs to work haha.
Good for you, I just got in a copy of the 1991 factory service manual.

ALL of your affected circuits are fed by fuse G in the PDC under the hood.

So - step 0. Check ALL of your fuses.

Step 1 - Follow the 12ga red wires from the PDC - one goes to the ignition switch, the OTHER one is the one you want.

Checking the bulkhead fitting for corrosion is also a good thing to do.

DO remember, disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery BEFORE checking anything. And reconnect before trying to drive it.

RwP

Killjoys (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 11:18 AM
Killjoys

Sounds good, I'll see what I can learn and if I can't figure it out...better pad my wallet, thanks for the help.

Old 03-08-2022, 01:30 AM
Villen
Default Another variation of the same problem.

I have just acquired a 1995 Dakota with 5.2 from a little old lady - literally. It is a Mark 3 conversion with just over 106k on it. It has not led an exciting life and hasn't taken many baths so there are some issues. No lights, no horn, no a/c, no heater fan. Drove it home after jumping it. First thing, bought a new battery. Starts right up and dies. Got that sorted out - bad ground on negative. Managed to get turn signals, interior lights, hazards and radio which sounds like someone using a tin can phone. Still no brake lights, head lights and horn, but slider works fine thanks to WD40.

I have checked every fuse, haven't cleaned them. Need to buy some electra-clean. Changed out light bulbs in tail lights rather than just clean all the dried goo off them. Now have back up lights. Tomorrow is another day. I need new leads for my multi meter. Maybe, just maybe, cleaning the fuse block will help with the horn relay, That would be a nice payback for some of the weird stuff I have found. I think the old lady had a little old husband who wasn't quite gifted in this field. I will probably be yelling for help, like how to test the relays. My mechanic skills are extremely outdated.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:46 PM
riggler
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check that bulkhead connector!!!

Quick Reply: New guy -- no headlights, brake lights, or horn!