1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 GMC 1500 NV3500 work for 92 Dakota?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021 | 12:16 AM
Sweep
|
Amateur

Definitely, can I replace the injectors then fuel rail later or something I should do in one go?... thanks

Old 05-20-2021 | 12:23 AM
Sweep
|
Amateur

Any injector brand recommended?...I see some remanufactured vs new?.. and some remanufactured are more expensive!...

Old 05-20-2021 | 05:48 AM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by Sweep
Definitely, can I replace the injectors then fuel rail later or something I should do in one go?... thanks
Well, the fuel RAIL is kind of locked to your having a return fuel system pump, and needed a regulator; the 94-96 are all returnless, and expect the regulator to be in the fuel pump; so I wouldn't change the RAIL, just the INJECTORS, and swap to an adjustable regulator so I can adjust to the range that the 94-96 injectors are expecting.

As to brand of injectors - I would probably stick with a Bosch or Siemens injector, and new.

So far the ones I've bought from Five O Motor Sports have been good units; but there's several other companies out there. Five O's link is here DODGE DAKOTA 1994 V8, 5.2L, Y, GAS Fuel Injectors (fiveomotorsport.com)

(I'm saving up for some new Deka 80lb injectors for my Cougar - primarily because the genuine Deka 80lb injectors are so linear, with almost no ramp up curve, that they're very VERY easy to program for; but without programmability, you don't want them on your Dakota.)

RwP

Old 05-20-2021 | 11:12 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

This is just my opinion, but I would try to make sure the mechanical driven speedometer can be adapted to the VSS style, even though the VSS is gear driven, I would want to make sure the "mechanical speedometer cable adapter?" from the earlier trucks would fit the newer transmission.....
Also, I dont understand the need for a different ECM especially if it requires new injectors, and a fuel pressure regulator.
I thought on the 92-95 automatics (RH series transmissions) The only control of the ecm was converter lock up and overdrive.
I would try it and see what happens, then if a code is set, deal with it then, but even at that, I would think that taking the 2 solenoids out of your automatic, and plugging them into the harness would eliminate that problem....... But I could be wrong

The following users liked this post:
RalphP (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021 | 11:49 AM
00t444e
Captain

Nothing wrong with an AX15 parts are cheap for them and they are just as good if not better than the NV3500, people have been using them in Jeeps with V8 swaps for years and they hold up fine. I am putting one in my 98 Grand Cherokee with a 5.9 in it.

Old 05-20-2021 | 07:07 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
This is just my opinion, but I would try to make sure the mechanical driven speedometer can be adapted to the VSS style, even though the VSS is gear driven, I would want to make sure the "mechanical speedometer cable adapter?" from the earlier trucks would fit the newer transmission.....
Also, I dont understand the need for a different ECM especially if it requires new injectors, and a fuel pressure regulator.
I thought on the 92-95 automatics (RH series transmissions) The only control of the ecm was converter lock up and overdrive.
I would try it and see what happens, then if a code is set, deal with it then, but even at that, I would think that taking the 2 solenoids out of your automatic, and plugging them into the harness would eliminate that problem....... But I could be wrong
That's it entirely.

But you WILL get CELs if the engine speed doesn't change to match the lock up and overdrive command ...

SO it's a matter of ignore them, or figure a way around.

(Me? I'm a computer tech, used to diddling bits - I'd look at converting to a Ford EEC-IV or EEC-V, with a Moates QuarterHorse installed, so I can diddle with THOSE, since I have source code and all kinds of files to tune those ECUs ... but that's me.)

RwP

Old 05-21-2021 | 01:23 PM
Sweep
|
Amateur

I took a look and found this website called Novak conversions for AX15’s, I’ll have to weigh my options, I don’t really want to get to custom with injectors and ECM. But that said as I slowly work through renewing the truck with new parts ( ie got new carpet, window weather stripping, unfortunately can’t get the window beltline, etc...) I’ll probably also look into these injectors weather from 94/95 w/adj regulator? Before I even do the conversion, Seems best I aim to find a tranny from either a 92/93 (AX15), I am assuming the VSS would be same setup and location? and address the lockup & overdrive on my ECM (as noted above) or do the 94/95 get a ECM although reading up on NV3500 from those years there were improvements in quieter and smoother running.

Old 05-21-2021 | 03:59 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

look on ebay for the guys in Thailand who make mouldings and other parts for old trucks like the Ram50. Then ask them by email if they'd be interested in making some. ??? IDk I figure they might be able to copy the ones you have.

Old 05-23-2021 | 02:44 AM
Sweep
|
Amateur

Thanks I browsed around and didn’t find anything yet....will keep looking. Thx.

Quick Reply: 94 GMC 1500 NV3500 work for 92 Dakota?