1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Replaced Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 11:19 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts
Default Replaced Power Steering Pump

1993 Dodge Dakota LE, 5.2L, Auto, RWD, 181,000 miles, original owner

I replaced my power steering pump yesterday. It was leaking so time for a change. Pretty easy job on my truck. Three bolts + one grounding stud to remove the bracket. The pump comes out of the truck with the bracket attached so you can detach the pump and remove/re-install the pulley on the workbench using a pulley kit on loan from Autozone. A little tight with some of the wrench work but doable. Also replaced both steering hoses. Flushed the system and added a 3/8" Magnefine filter in-line on the low pressure return hose.

The purpose of this thread is to simply remind us 1st Gen owners to pay attention to the power steering fluid. I admit I have been lazy about changing my fluid. In fact, I never really have other than to drain the reservoir and re-fill. I'd repeat that 2 or 3 times. That's certainly better than nothing but it doesn't address the biggest problem. Metal particulate. After flushing the system in a pan, I dragged a magnet around the bottom. Between what stuck to the magnet and what I could see in the pan, there was a significant amount of this metal particulate in my system floating around. No doubt it was chewing up my pump and steering gear. I added a 3/8" Magnefine filter for another layer of protection going forward.

Anyway, just thought I'd be a voice for the power steering systems on our trucks.

Last edited by bronze; 02-18-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:05 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Definitely fair warning. Thanks .

Old 02-21-2022, 09:43 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tbugden
Definitely fair warning. Thanks .
When flushing is so simple we really have no excuses. I know I don't. Guilty as charged! And when parts become increasingly difficult to find...gotta make ours last.

Hardest part would be pulling the return hose off the pump. Not much leverage. But, you can always cut the hose in the middle, flush, then add a filter to make the hose line one again.

Old 02-21-2022, 03:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,201 Likes on 2,953 Posts

My only issue with flushing under power was, even at idle, the pump could empty the reservoir in a hot second.......

Old 02-21-2022, 07:17 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou;[url=tel:3538131
3538131[/url]]My only issue with flushing under power was, even at idle, the pump could empty the reservoir in a hot second.......
I’m not quite that brave either.

I had one of those bottles you put in the reservoir that feeds it fluid as needed. And I went lock to lock with the wheels off the ground and engine not running. Did initial bleed that way too and finished the bleed with the wheels on the ground and engine running. A few iterations each way and it got all the air out.

Last edited by bronze; 02-21-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 03:03 PM
04quad4.7
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Greatly appreciate all the advice. Getting ready to do on my 04 Dakota 4.7+ figured I'd use the experience from doing GFs Civic (2002) ... when powered, flow rate/pressure is an understatement i.e. forgot to duct tape (clear) hose in the milk jug, and well, needless to say, whipped around like a fire hose and went everywhere. Anyway, according to (Chrysler/Dodge) Factory Service Manual: (4.7) fluid flow rate should be 2.4-2.8 gallons per minute @ 1500 rpm. So, yes, if you decide to do "powered up", fasten the hose to the container, have plenty of fluid.
Side note regarding Honda; if someone you know has a Honda and the PSP is whining, change out the H&L pressure hose O-rings. Noise is all gone. The noise is from air entering and escaping thru the O rings

Last edited by 04quad4.7; 03-27-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:30 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

You really don't need (IMHO shouldn't) to do powered fluid exchange. Lift front end - wheels off ground - and pull rack hoses to drain, the turn wheel lock to lock a bunch to spit out rest of fluid. Reconnect, refill with ATF+4 and repeat lock to lock 30 times with cap off. Doing under power introduces unnecessary risk.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:13 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Just to clarify since it has come up, I did NOT flush my power steering system on my Dakota with the engine running. The engine was off when I went lock to lock. I had the front wheels off the ground too.

After the flush AND with hoses and everything all connected AND the system filled with the specified power steering fluid AND the cap off the reservoir AND the front wheels back on the ground, I ran the engine and went lock to lock several times allowing air in the system to foam up in the reservoir. Turned engine off then I waited 10-15 mins to let air bubble up out of the reservoir fluid. Repeated this a couple more times until it would no longer foam up. Topped off fluid to the fill mark. Put cap back on reservoir. Done.

I’m speaking of what I did for my Dakota not any other car.

Old 03-28-2022, 11:56 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
Just to clarify since it has come up, I did NOT flush my power steering system on my Dakota with the engine running. The engine was off when I went lock to lock. I had the front wheels off the ground too.

After the flush AND with hoses and everything all connected AND the system filled with the specified power steering fluid AND the cap off the reservoir AND the front wheels back on the ground, I ran the engine and went lock to lock several times allowing air in the system to foam up in the reservoir. Turned engine off then I waited 10-15 mins to let air bubble up out of the reservoir fluid. Repeated this a couple more times until it would no longer foam up. Topped off fluid to the fill mark. Put cap back on reservoir. Done.

I’m speaking of what I did for my Dakota not any other car.
My response was to 04Quad4.7 for the post before mine. I should have quoted.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:15 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
My response was to 04Quad4.7 for the post before mine. I should have quoted.
I understand. I also understand you were referring to the Honda (ATF+4). I just wanted to be sure to put the Dakota back on the rails so as not to confuse anyone. We're all good.

Quick Reply: Replaced Power Steering Pump