1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Ignition Switch or Key Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 09:20 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts
Default Ignition Switch or Key Cylinder?

1993 Dodge Dakota LE, 5.2L Magnum, A518 Automatic, RWD, 183,000 miles, original owner.

Close to a year ago I had the ignition switch AND key cylinder replaced (a local garage did the work where the wife had stranded my truck). Ever since, I noticed I have to turn the key further before it cranks the engine. It comes real close to bottoming out. Add to that there has been a few times when the engine wouldn't crank. I had to give it 2 or 3 attempts before it would fire. Anyone want to guess if it's the switch or the cylinder?

Old 10-27-2022, 10:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,205 Likes on 2,957 Posts

Is the switch adjustable??

Old 10-27-2022, 10:41 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is the switch adjustable??
Didn't know there was such a thing. How would I know?

This is the switch:

http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfg...rtNumber=CS267

Last edited by bronze; 10-27-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-27-2022, 11:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by bronze
Didn't know there was such a thing. How would I know?

This is the switch:

http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfg...rtNumber=CS267
That one doesn't look like it is.....

On some GM vehicles I have worked on, the ignition switch itself is mounted further down the steering column, and is indeed adjustable... I haven't had to mess with a dodge switch.....

Old 10-27-2022, 11:05 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

That one doesn't look like it is.....

On some GM vehicles I have worked on, the ignition switch itself is mounted further down the steering column, and is indeed adjustable... I haven't had to mess with a dodge switch.....
So you're suggesting the switch is more likely my problem than the key cylinder?

Last year, the mechanic said my key cylinder disintegrated which caused it to wreck the switch. That's why both parts were replaced. I had that Borg Warner ignition switch in my reserve stash (unused). They got the key cylinder from NAPA.

Old 10-27-2022, 11:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I might be tempted to take it apart, and inspect things......Probably doesn't take much slop on either side of the equation to give you strange behavior.

Old 10-27-2022, 12:01 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

I might be tempted to take it apart, and inspect things......Probably doesn't take much slop on either side of the equation to give you strange behavior.
Yeah, you're probably right. Gotta put my nose in it to see what is going on. This no-crank problem arises maybe once every 3 months. Maybe I'll just let it go until the frequency increases. I subscribe to the, "Nothing fixes itself" theory so I suspect it's a matter of time and it will fail permanently at some point. It is a Borg Warner switch so you'd think it were decent quality but maybe not.

Old 10-27-2022, 12:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not sure what really qualifies as 'decent quality' these days, given that most of it is made in China.... and they don't exactly have a reputation for building high-quality items.....

Old 10-27-2022, 12:12 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Not sure what really qualifies as 'decent quality' these days, given that most of it is made in China.... and they don't exactly have a reputation for building high-quality items.....
Well, yes. I'm highly skeptical of anything made in China. In fact, I assume it's crap if it comes from China. However, there are exceptions. And I think it depends on the company whose name is on it. For example, I know ACDelco farms out a lot of their parts to China. Yet I have found they make pretty good replacement parts. I've never had any trouble with them in terms of fit, function, or durability. So while ACD sells Chinese parts they appear to have a pretty good QC process and I'm guessing they implement it at the Chinese factory itself.

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch or Key Cylinder?