1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

recharge a/c

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM
spluce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recharge a/c

So I replaced the comp, drier, cond, orifice tube, hoses, flushed the evaporator. evacuated for a few hours and when putting first can of freon in, the comp cycles on and the high side gauge pegs at 500 psi, then drops when it cycles off. Seems like a restriction somewhere but all is new and the evap blew clear with air pressure. Any ideas as where to look?

Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Firs thought comes to mind is if a plug was left in one of the fittings on installation

Old Today, 09:36 AM
spluce

possible, had my son helping, Will discharge and take everything apart and check for an obstruction.

Old Today, 11:17 AM
Jaddrockguy96
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be worth a look my 96 takes 2.00lbs of refrigerant cycling compressor can also mean low charge. One can usually isn’t enough to charge the whole system but if there is a restriction common places are expansion valve and condenser

Old Today, 11:36 AM
spluce

I installed a new condenser and orifice tube when I did all the other work. I guess its possible the new condenser is clogged somehow. Will report back if and when I find the problem. It's hard to find time to work on it as I just had open heart surgery a couple months ago and the wife ride's herd on me like nurse Ratchet

Old Today, 11:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,318 Likes on 3,063 Posts

Originally Posted by spluce
I installed a new condenser and orifice tube when I did all the other work. I guess its possible the new condenser is clogged somehow. Will report back if and when I find the problem. It's hard to find time to work on it as I just had open heart surgery a couple months ago and the wife ride's herd on me like nurse Ratchet
She knows you too well, and wants to keep you around for a while longer.

Quick Reply: recharge a/c