42RE/A500 behind a 5.2 - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 1st Gen Dakota
Reload this Page > 42RE/A500 behind a 5.2
1st Gen Dakota '96 & Older Dakota's

42RE/A500 behind a 5.2

Reply

 
 
  #1  
Old 10-15-2017, 10:07 PM
HotelCarolina
HotelCarolina is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 10
Default 42RE/A500 behind a 5.2

Hey everybody. So I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a 5.2 Magnum for my '95 Dakota. I want to drop it into my truck, but I want to keep my stock 42re V6 transmission behind it until I get the money for the 44re which I know is the proper transmission. One thing I'd like to mention is that my 42re was fully rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago. Will the HP and torque gains from the 5.2 tear my tranny to shreds or will it be able to last a month or 2 until I get a new tranny. Of course driving it carefully and not mashing it everywhere I go will help it survive for a while but knowing myself, I'm gonna have to do a couple pulls every once in a while. I know I will be told that if it is not what Dodge designed it for, then it will not last long, which I agree but if anyone has actually done it then give me your 2. Thanks in advance.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-16-2017, 09:31 AM
robertmee's Avatar
robertmee
robertmee is offline
All Star
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 919
Default

Originally Posted by HotelCarolina View Post
Hey everybody. So I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a 5.2 Magnum for my '95 Dakota. I want to drop it into my truck, but I want to keep my stock 42re V6 transmission behind it until I get the money for the 44re which I know is the proper transmission. One thing I'd like to mention is that my 42re was fully rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago. Will the HP and torque gains from the 5.2 tear my tranny to shreds or will it be able to last a month or 2 until I get a new tranny. Of course driving it carefully and not mashing it everywhere I go will help it survive for a while but knowing myself, I'm gonna have to do a couple pulls every once in a while. I know I will be told that if it is not what Dodge designed it for, then it will not last long, which I agree but if anyone has actually done it then give me your 2. Thanks in advance.
Depends on the build of your 5.2. How much HP? If it's just a fairly stock 5.2 you'll probably be ok for the few months you run it.

Also you'll be wanting a 46re not 44re....the 44 series were jeep based. The v8 dakotas had a 46re.

FYI I rebuilt my a500 on my 400hp 5.9L and it's held up fine. But I did use performance parts and swapped out the internal hard parts with v8 parts.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-16-2017, 11:43 AM
93 ragtop
93 ragtop is offline
All Star
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Va
Posts: 793
Default

No experience with it, but if it was mine,I would run it on a stock 5.2. When I do a search online of the 42re, it appears it was used behind some v-8's
Also, it may help to extend the life if a shift kit was installed as well as a aux. cooler.
What do you plan to run for a converter? IMO a stock or near stock would probably keep the transmission alive longer.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:35 PM
HotelCarolina
HotelCarolina is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
Depends on the build of your 5.2. How much HP? If it's just a fairly stock 5.2 you'll probably be ok for the few months you run it.

Also you'll be wanting a 46re not 44re....the 44 series were jeep based. The v8 dakotas had a 46re.

FYI I rebuilt my a500 on my 400hp 5.9L and it's held up fine. But I did use performance parts and swapped out the internal hard parts with v8 parts.
Right now I'm doing just a stock rebuild on the 5.2. No performance parts or anything until I get a new tranny. As for what you did, what V8 parts did you use? Sounds like a better option than buying a whole new transmission.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:43 PM
HotelCarolina
HotelCarolina is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop View Post
No experience with it, but if it was mine,I would run it on a stock 5.2. When I do a search online of the 42re, it appears it was used behind some v-8's
Also, it may help to extend the life if a shift kit was installed as well as a aux. cooler.
What do you plan to run for a converter? IMO a stock or near stock would probably keep the transmission alive longer.
Yep that's what I've heard. Some 42s have been used behind the 5.2 but from searches on dodge/jeep forums, people are saying you'll blow the thing up from the power of the 5.2 which always confused me. For the converter, can I swap in a V8 converter and it'll be good? And a trans cooler sounds like a good idea as well.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:45 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 46,231
Default

If you are going to rebuild a trans anyway, just get a 46 from the scrap yard, and go thru it. They can be had for a song, and parts are plentiful.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-16-2017, 01:08 PM
93 ragtop
93 ragtop is offline
All Star
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Va
Posts: 793
Default

Originally Posted by HotelCarolina View Post
Yep that's what I've heard. Some 42s have been used behind the 5.2 but from searches on dodge/jeep forums, people are saying you'll blow the thing up from the power of the 5.2 which always confused me. For the converter, can I swap in a V8 converter and it'll be good? And a trans cooler sounds like a good idea as well.



I would think you would need to keep a 42re converter, What I was trying to say was stay away from an aftermarket high stall converter. I believe that would put more stress on the transmission. BTW dont forget that you will need the 5.2 flexplate.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2017, 08:13 AM
volaredon
volaredon is offline
All Star
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 773
Default

nope the converter wont work from a 42 to a 46 series... input on back of converter is larger on the 46.
on a 42 vs a 44 series set the 2 next to each other and you wont see a difference. Identical from the outside. only difference is a couple more clutches within the transmission. now the 46 is a little different, giveaway as to whether it is a 46 or not is a slight difference in pan.
yes the 42 or 44 will live behind a V8 if you drive it somewhat sanely. They put many trucks together from the factory that way! Not all V8s came with the 46,
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Featured Sponsors

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: