1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Crap!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crap!

I lost my key fob! About how much is it gonna cost to get a new one and reprogram it?

Old 09-03-2007, 01:07 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Crap!

MG, sad to say, but your 98 model, you will have to take it to the dealer for reprogramming. You can buy the key probably from ebay but there is no aftermarket programming that i know of for the 98 model.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:11 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

+1.

eBay and a trip to the dealer for programming. A good dealer would do it for 1/2 an hour labor or about $35 or so. I'd get a new key from the dealer when you are there for the programming.

Make sure to check the key before you leave in the doors and the ignition as well as the FOBs functions.

IndyD

Old 09-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Mines a 2000 Ken but I'm pretty sure it's the same story huh?

I'll check out the local dealer when I get a few bucks in my pocket. I guess I'll have to rough it by actually using my key to unlock the door until then.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

do a search on the web for programming the fob... I'll bet you'll find it somewhere...

edit: oh yeah, forgot to mention...went up to Monitor pass Sunday... started exploring some and got myself in a tad bit of troube in a very narrow grove of aspens... may have scared the truck... if so it'll go nice with the rocker panel dent since it's on the same side

Old 09-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Kensai
Champion

Oh crap, I keep getting you and Hydra mixed up on your year models! haha, the 2000, you can do it yourself, here is the link. I am going to post a sticky on the FOB as this keeps continue to surface in the forums.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2002/08-007-02.htm

Here is more information for any Durango owner that wants to know more about programming their FOB. Also, you can buy the keyless remotes from this site as well. They have prices for new and refurbs and they sell the batteries for them as well. Looking at this site, a new key remote for a 2000 model will be $50. $30 for a refurb, and about $12 for batteries. Don't know how much it would cost you to buy a replacement from dealer but if it is not much more, then get it from dealer, otherwise, order it from this site.

http://www.factorykeylessremotes.com...e/durango.html

Old 09-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Mean Green
Champion

I think I've seen the fobs for about $15 on ebay as I was interested in getting a backup but I guess it doesn't matter, I found that sucker between my seat and the console. I didn't have any sunlight to look for it the other night.

Steve I've been meaning to ask you about your latest adventures. I guess your really pushing to see what kind of trouble the new lift can get you in huh? [8D]

I've been keeping myself pretty busy these last couple of weeks siince school started up. I am just about done ripping my first diesel apart I just have to pull the cylinder sleeves. It's a 6 cylinder Cummins but the teacher isn't telling us how big it is, I think he wants us to figure out the displacement on our own which we are pretty close to finding out when we start putting everything back together. I need to look at my school schedule I think I may have a little free time in the end of Oct. or early Nov. so we should plan something. I imagine the mountains may have some new snow up there and we can test out the winter limits of our trucks.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:01 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

well the trouble was more trail related... was heading down this one trail and it went into a grove of aspens, then started getting narrower & narrower, lucky for me there was a place to do a 50 pt turn and head out before inflicting more than surface scratches makes me want to find an old jeep grand cherokee to turn into a trail rig. they can be found pretty cheep these days.

I didnt know you were taking diesel classes, sounds fun, how is it? I've thought of taking an AT class to learn how to rebuild the tranny's. that is one part of the truck I keep my hands off of...
As far as Oct/Nov, let me know when and we'll see what we can do. I'm always up for it, we can go do the red lake/blue lakes trail (pretty short in comparison to the ones in the past)...

Old 09-06-2007, 10:57 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

hey mean, how do you like working with diesels?

I wanna become a diesel mechanic but I dunno yet. its either that or get my A-Z

Old 09-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Well I'm loving the engine class, after this one is over at the end of the month I start the advanced diesel class. My other class is all about brakes and it is a sonofa.... I think I start the tranny class next semester, I can't remember anymore.

Oh and Johnny, if you enjoy wrenching Diesel is the way to go. The field is way understaffed and they need some good mech's. Out here in Reno they make $70k to start with a degree. I should be certified by the spring and have my degree finished up next Dec. You lost me on the A-Z???

Quick Reply: Crap!