1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Dodge Durango 2003 4X4 overheat Suggested solution !

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:14 AM
wordsworth
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Durango 2003 4X4 overheat Suggested solution !

Hello buddies,

everybody is talking about the overheating problem, i have a dodge which has the same problem but what im thinkin of is to replace the radiator which is 2 slides only with a big one has 4 slides so that mroe water circulates to the engine the more cooling it produces,,,,,and forget about all fans , clutch fans ,,etc..

what do you think?

in the same regard, i have posted this reply in the forum and no body answered, any help to my problem below other than the above big rad. in case somebody tried it be4.

Thank you all for your great comments.

actually, i went through your comments but they were no enough help to my Dodge Durango 2003 overheating problems... my problem is it reaches the mid of the guage but not over unless the 4wd is on then it reaches 3/4 , i noticed that the fan works only on a certain temp like the middle, i checked the water pump,clutch,rad.,and they are all working fine,i changed the thermostat to 160 F and it worked fine for somedays then it overheated, so i decided to remove the valve (thermostat) forever and now it's stable on around 70 which means 1/3 of the guage but goes to the 1/2 when drive for long......though no thermostat as it's cooking here in saudi Arabia in summer.
i gave up really from thinking what would be the problem, could any one figure out the reason?

pls help me
thanks.
Jo

Old 04-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dodge Durango 2003 4X4 overheat Suggested solution !

Hi Jo, sorry to hear about all your problems. I didnt catch all your posts but whats your engine etc etc. Whats the average temp over there? Now by over heating you mean its going over 210 for a long duration? Even after the fan kicks in? My initial suggestion would of been a complete system flush, lower t-stat and then water wetter (Highly recomended). And after that if to no avail i would of suggested two E-fans that are high pullers on a manual and auto thermostat before swapping radiatiors. If you chose to swap radiators it can be a pain, you will have to adapt a trans cooler, AC rad, aswell possibly remove the fan shrould. Im in the process of something similiar, not due to overheating though, putting in an intake system. On my 99 5.9 i have to relocate my coolant catch, ac radiator(completely remove), make a custom shroud, run new tranny rad and lines etc etc.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:32 AM
wordsworth
Rookie

Thanks Dear and no problem about the posts, my durango is 2003, 5.9L, i don't have readings (I mean numbers in the guage but dashes) so it reaches in desert 2/3 and in normal time 1/2 which means 170 i think, when i go fast it gets high and when i go on a trip lower than 100, no problem about the mid temp. when the e-fan starts and usually it starts on the mid indicator then the temp. goes down or stays constant.

i understood the complete system flush, but what's the lower t-stat... and the water wetter pls let me know cuz i only have tomorrow to check my baby, regarding rad. im still hesitant as it's a headache and i need something simple, cheap and works fine in Saudi Arab hot summer.

waiting for ur comments dear

Thank you

Old 04-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

Well what i meant by lower thermo is lower temp, but seeing how you had removed it thats out of the question. My D (Its a 99) is 210 midway on the temp, not sure about newer years. Is your electric fan a stock one or aftermarket? I ask because you mention you checked the clutch? Look up water "wetter" online, or "coolant wetter" for a better insight, but pretty much it aides the coolant in heat dissapation aswell as build up in the coolant system.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:50 AM
wordsworth
Rookie

Now i got what you mean by Water wetter, thanks for the new info. , i will try it. and i will flush again my coolant sys. then will add water wetter......let's pray for good news
well get back to you when i do this today

thanks.
Jo

Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 AM
wordsworth
Rookie

Now i got what you mean by Water wetter, thanks for the new info. , i will try it. and i will flush again my coolant sys. then will add water wetter......let's pray for good news
well get back to you when i do this today

thanks.
Jo

Old 04-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

Okay, just make sure you flush it good, and if alot of debris is present see if you can get ahold of coolant system flush chemicals that help with slime/debris removal. Then after all, that clear out the system with water then fill with new 50/50 coolant and thewetter additive burping the system. Honestly if after all that and the system is burped free of air, if you still have a problem- upgrading the radiator/hoses/fan will be the only choice. (and if going through that as well its best to replace the pump)

Old 04-18-2008, 12:38 PM
wordsworth
Rookie

hello dear Duranged408

sorry for being away, i did the flushing and it's same nothing changed...seems i have a real problem, i didn't find water wetter so i used a red water and afte one week it turned to be green, don't know why...

what do u advise me to do with my durango..

thanks and regards,

Old 04-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

As you mention red water what exactly is that?

Old 04-18-2008, 03:56 PM
wordsworth
Rookie

i bought i red water manifactured for rad.s local product...anti corrison ...etc..

Quick Reply: Dodge Durango 2003 4X4 overheat Suggested solution !