Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:32 PM
jimbo74
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 2wd Dodge Durango help needed

Ok, so I am no newbie to the automotive world, but I am greenie to the Durango

We have an 02 Dodge Durango that needs some help... Several issues

It used to have a horrible exhuast leak... got that fixed, it was the driver's side exhuast manifold while we had that, we had a check engine light after the manifold gasket was replaced, I went and got the codes cleared @ Autozone. P0036... code came back within 5 minutes, cleared them again, and again it's back on.... Prior to clearing the codes, I tried to reset the computer by pulling the battery, did not help, light remained on.My wife has since reported that itis nowrough starting, has a surging idle, and it stalls out when she shifts into reverse. It did not do this before I pulled the battery.

How common is upper balljoint failure?She was quoted about $600 from a shop to have it done, however,I am confident I can do it rather quickly and only spend $120 in parts

They also want to charge $300 to replace the pinion seal and the diff cover gasket, they say its leaking, but all domesticsI have ever seen seep a little... level is fine

They want $200 to replace the "collapsed" tranny mount,I can do it myself for $40 in parts

They want to replace the left front bearing, they said there was play in it, forget how much they wanted, but I can do it myself, for cheap, like $120 as it's an integrated hub assembly

There is more stuffI need help with but I have it posted on another non-Dodge board, and it is currently down, andI am not sure whatI posted... The helpI got there, was go to DodgeForum, lol

PLEASE HELP.. This is my wife's car, and my daughter is in it exclusively, daily.... I don't want anything to happen to my girls.....

Old 07-01-2008, 07:59 PM
jeff66
Rookie
Default RE: 2002 2wd Dodge Durango help needed

P0036....HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2), since you just had the manifold worked on I'd be looking for a bad connector or a damaged wireor possibly a bad O2 sensor.

Heated oxygen sensors have an internal heater circuit that brings the sensor up to operating temperature more quickly than an unheated sensor. An oxygen sensor must be hot (about 600 to 650 degrees F) before it will generate a voltage signal. The hot exhaust from the engine will provide enough heat to bring an O2 sensor up to operating temperature, but it make take several minutes depending on ambient temperature, engine load and speed. During this time, the fuel feedback control system remains in "open loop" and does not use the O2 sensor signal to adjust the fuel mixture. This typically results in a rich fuel mixture, wasted fuel and higher emissions.
By adding an internal heater circuit to the oxygen sensor, voltage can be routed through the heater as soon as the engine starts to warm up the sensor. The heater element is a resistor that glows red hot when current passes through it. The heater will bring the sensor up to operating temperature within 20 to 60 seconds depending on the sensor, and also keep the oxygen sensor hot even when the engine is idling for a long period of time.
Heated O2 sensors typically have two-three or four wires (the extra wires are for the heater circuit). Note: Replacement O2 sensors must have the same number of wires as the original, and have the same internal resistance.
The OBD II system also monitors the heater circuit and will set a trouble code if the heater circuit inside the O2 sensor is defective. The heater is part of the sensor and cannot be replaced separately, so if the heater circuit is open or shorted and the problem is not in the external wiring or sensor connector, the O2 sensor must be replaced.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:04 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

which sensor is it? and where is this particular one located? i am very familiar with o2 sensors, but not placement or how many on the durango.... we actually had the light come on a long time ago.... way before we got the leak fixed, i am hoping that the sensor got dirty, and stayed dirty, and thus still triggering eventhough the problem is now fixed....

Old 07-01-2008, 08:17 PM
jeff66
Rookie

Don't quote me but I'm assuming it's the down stream sensor. wouldn't hurt to check them all if you have high mileage. I've never climbed under mine to see how many are there. you have a 4.7 so it may be different than my 5.9.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:24 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

is there an online fsm or the like that could point me in the right direction?we don't nor canwe afford to start throwing money @ it...

haha, my toyota is an 84 and has 1 O2, on the manifold... and it's a carb, so i don't think the O2 really does anything anyways

ANYone else?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

i need to order the sensor, please help!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:21 PM
jeff66
Rookie

Ok here it is, your 4.7 has 2 converters, one after each manifold, each converter has (2) O2 sensors, one before the converter and one after.

Your code:P0036....HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2),so bank 1 is the left or the drivers side cylinders 1,3,5,7. bank 2 is the rightor the passenger side cylinders 2,4,6,8. sensor 1 is upstream or before the converter, sensor 2 is downstream or after the converter. so you needto check the O2 sensor on the driver side after the converter,

the sensor before the converter (upstream) is the most important because the computer uses this one to determine fuel/air mixture, the downstream is used only as a comparison to the upstream to determine if the converter is functioning properly.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

that does help, thank you... which one should i change? i know the p0036 says its the after cat one on the drivers side, but... you mentioned it isnt too important? or should i change out that 1 and go from there? see if it fixes it or not? i dont own a code reader, i am using the actron one that autozone has....

Old 07-01-2008, 09:36 PM
jeff66
Rookie

like i said you need to check your connectors and wiring first. i don't know how many times i've seen a mechanic put something back together and forgot a connector or didn't get all the way back together, it could be as simple as a dirty connector or one not plugged in.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

the cel has been on for months! we just got the exhaust leak fixed this week... i then cleared the code, and it came back, i do not think it is an issue of a disconnected plug and am quite familiar with this, we had the check engine light PRIOR to anyone having touched it, long before the manifold leak was even diagnosed

Quick Reply: 2002 2wd Dodge Durango help needed