1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Will a 2001 door fit on a 1999

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 05:47 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will a 2001 door fit on a 1999

Thats the question? I am under the impression that 1998-2003 was the same body style, just a few mechanical and interior modifications were done, but the body itself stayed the same correct? So, that means a 2001 door should fit on a 1999 correct?

Old 03-14-2009, 12:29 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

correct.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:21 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Thanks..

Old 03-15-2009, 12:13 AM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah man go for it
What"s the reason for the swap???

Old 03-15-2009, 11:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The guts are semi different but the door is the same.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:23 AM
schusterjo
All Star

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
The guts are semi different but the door is the same.
Guts being semi different would it still have the same power window/door lock connections? Kinda hoping I basically can swap the door panels and get lucky and the power window/door lock connections work.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:50 AM
schusterjo
All Star

Okay I put the door on the other day but did the guts today and door alignment tweaking.

What is different,
1.Well of coarse the door panel
2.Both the bars for the door lock and door handle are different.
3. Tweeter is in a different location and has a different mount but still can be swapped with a little tweaking.

Okay the bars,
Well its pretty tight in there so its kind of a pain. First we will talk about the door lock., simply has one clip each end and the bar pull off... The newer door has the door lock by the door handle (inside) the older has the door lock on the rear top of the door panel, that was the easy swap. The door handle bar was not as easy and again just one clip each end holding it on but just a little harder to get to.

And if you want to use you key on that side you also need to swap the door handle. it has 2 bars and 2 clip one being a real pain to get to. It has 2 nuts that holds it in place 1 bottom front that is easy to see and another bottom rear that you will not see. You need to remove that little plastic cover on the rear back to gain access to it. 2 bars and two clips, one clip is a little pain but the other was not that bad. wiring and connections are all the same.

Tweaking was kind of a pain. I am the type that will just keep doing it over and over and over till it is as good as I can get it. I had an issue with the door sticking a little further out top rear, about 1/4 inch. I tried shimming the lower door mount ext.. nothing.. Well I posted on a auto body forum the other day when I had put the door on, A guy came back with a simple answer , simply take a block of wood (be careful not to bend anything else) and stick it into the door jam, then push hard on the rear top with the window down of coarse and that should do it. Well it worked and now it looks good there. The only issue is that the gap in between the doors is slightly larger at the top then at the bottom, man I worked and worked on that and I think I have it pretty much whiten 1/8 or so difference.. Still bothers me though lol

Anyways thats the Durango door change for anybody who needs to put a newer door on an older Durango (98-03 models)

Last edited by schusterjo; 03-22-2009 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:58 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was it heavy? What did you do to get it aligned up and lifted on the hinges?

Anyone that has replaced the lock will know exactly what you are talking about with the bars. PITA for sure.

IndyD

Old 03-22-2009, 02:47 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

any pics of these difficult parts that could be posted for reference???

or any pics of the install process at all?? might help some people understand what you are referring to

Old 03-22-2009, 04:43 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Was it heavy? What did you do to get it aligned up and lifted on the hinges?

Anyone that has replaced the lock will know exactly what you are talking about with the bars. PITA for sure.

IndyD
Well it was pretty heavy, no doubt. I lifted it into place and had my son hit it with the impact.. Far as aligning it the same process basically, I would move it and he would hit it with the impact, did this over and over and over lol..

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
any pics of these difficult parts that could be posted for reference???

or any pics of the install process at all?? might help some people understand what you are referring to
No I do not have pics.. My cell phone is damaged, Sprint Instinct with a busted screen and no insurance on it. My other cameras are 35mm and don't have film.. I sure would of taken pics if my cell phone was working..

Last edited by schusterjo; 03-22-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Will a 2001 door fit on a 1999