2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant bubbles on dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 10:30 AM
bearen1911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant bubbles on dipstick?

So I have a 1997 dodge ram 1505.2 L 4x4 manual transmission.

I’m curious if the intake manifold gasket or the timing chain gasket could cause coolant to enter the oil system there’s no information on that particular issue so I was just looking to get some feedback?

I am aware of the possibility of a cracked or warped head but before I go digging into the motor since my timing chain cover gasket is bad and I know the intake manifold gasket does need to be replaced. Was looking for further information on this theory. any feedback would be much appreciated.

Old 07-17-2024, 04:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Yeah, coolant passes thru the timing cover on both sides... so a bad gasket there can indeed let coolant into the oil. Coolant passes thru the intake as well, so, same thing. Don't forget to replace the plenum gasket, and use shorter bolts..... Probably wouldn't hurt to test your coolant for combustion gases.... that would let ya know if the head gasket was blown.

Old 07-17-2024, 05:15 PM
bearen1911

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, coolant passes thru the timing cover on both sides... so a bad gasket there can indeed let coolant into the oil. Coolant passes thru the intake as well, so, same thing. Don't forget to replace the plenum gasket, and use shorter bolts..... Probably wouldn't hurt to test your coolant for combustion gases.... that would let ya know if the head gasket was blown.

yeah, I will test for that before I start tearing into it. Thank you for the input about the blown head gasket. Much appreciated. Also, just to clarify you’re stating to buy or use shorter bolts when repairing the intake, manifold gaskets , correct?

Last edited by bearen1911; 07-17-2024 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2024, 05:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by bearen1911
yeah, I will test for that before I start tearing into it. Thank you for the input about the blown head gasket. Much appreciated. Also, just to clarify you’re stating to buy or use shorter bolts when repairing the intake, manifold gaskets , correct?
The intake is two-piece. There is a steel plate that seals the bottom. That gasket LOVES to blow out, and you get excessive oil consumption, bad gas mileage, and it basically just runs crappy. Some folks replace the steel plate with aluminum, (several companies sell kits for it...) but, its the stock bolts that are the real problem. They bottom in the holes, before you get a good clamping force.... So, a GOOD gasket, and slightly shorter bolts *should* solve that problem permanently.

The bolts that hold the intake to the engine are supposedly torque to yeild, and thus, should NOT be re-used..... The service manual doesn't say anything about that though...... kinda strange... the bolts are rather brittle, so, replacing them anyway is just a good idea. It's rare they all come out without one or two breaking anyway.

Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
bearen1911

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The intake is two-piece. There is a steel plate that seals the bottom. That gasket LOVES to blow out, and you get excessive oil consumption, bad gas mileage, and it basically just runs crappy. Some folks replace the steel plate with aluminum, (several companies sell kits for it...) but, its the stock bolts that are the real problem. They bottom in the holes, before you get a good clamping force.... So, a GOOD gasket, and slightly shorter bolts *should* solve that problem permanently.

The bolts that hold the intake to the engine are supposedly torque to yeild, and thus, should NOT be re-used..... The service manual doesn't say anything about that though...... kinda strange... the bolts are rather brittle, so, replacing them anyway is just a good idea. It's rare they all come out without one or two breaking anyway.

where do I find shorter bolts for the intake manifold?

Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Any hardware store will have 'em.

Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 322 Likes on 304 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bearen1911
where do I find shorter bolts for the intake manifold?
Another possible option is if you have a tap with the proper threads, you can use that to make the threaded hole slightly deeper..

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Another possible option is if you have a tap with the proper threads, you can use that to make the threaded hole slightly deeper..
Not sure I would try that. Tap is going to want to go down a last faster than it is going to dig a hole......

Quick Reply: Coolant bubbles on dipstick?