1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Which Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Swopedaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Air Intake

I have a 2002 Durango with a 4.7

I am trying to decide betweent he K&N FIRK and the True Flow XDI intakes.

Does anyone have experience with both? Is one better than the other? Which one should I go with?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:55 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look, save yourself a bundle of money and do this.

Find one on ebay you like the look of, pay $15-20 and get it. Throw away the filter when you get it and buy a quality filter such as the K&N cone filters in its place.
$15-20 for the intake
$35 for the quality filter

$50-55 total and get practically the exact same performance as you would with the $300 setups..

Take the $250 you just saved and mail me $200 of that and keep $50 for yourself.

Bottom line there is no need to spend $250-350 for a CAI when you can get the same performance for less then $50..

If you was planning on spending $250-350 you may as well just keep saving and get a ram air hood/system..

Old 03-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Swopedaddy

250 for XDI or K&N
vs
800 for Ram Rood + 125 for Air Box + Paint

I have been given a limit as to what I can spend by the boss, trying to make the most of it. The K&N and the XDI both have the better filters as well as better routing of the Air. Just trying to find out if anyone knows of a differnece between the two as to which one is better.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:30 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Hey Swope, don't for get about Airaid and Volant<they make a 100,000mile filter. There's another thread on here from John4=hopefully he'll post if his gas mileage went up after the k&n system install=I'm plannin on get the filter replacement from k&n= and seein if the system really out performs the old air box with a K&n filter.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Swopedaddy

I was just looking at the AirRaid. I will also take a look at Volant. I will probably buy the XDI for my 09 Ram as that is the only one I can fid for it at this time. The Durango is in great shape. I am in the Military and want to improve the performance for my wife. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Swopedaddy

I have also found the following and wanted to see if anyone has any experience?

MAGNUM FORCE STAGE 2 AIR INTAKE W/ PRO 5-R

Old 03-15-2009, 05:22 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd get better performance making your own ram air like me themoderators and a few other people

Old 03-15-2009, 05:54 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-15-2009, 06:08 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swopedaddy
250 for XDI or K&N
vs
800 for Ram Rood + 125 for Air Box + Paint

I have been given a limit as to what I can spend by the boss, trying to make the most of it. The K&N and the XDI both have the better filters as well as better routing of the Air. Just trying to find out if anyone knows of a differnece between the two as to which one is better.
You missed the point all together... YOUR NOT GOING TO GET ANY BETTER PERFORMANCE FROM A $250-350 CAI then a home made one or a ebay setup like I suggested.
Those performance sheets they post on their sites are just a way to get you to buy. You don't understand how they get those reading, They put the setup in the perfect environment and testing conditions ( a controlled temperature, humidity, simulated pressure (altitude from sea level, how much oxygen is in the air), to get those readings)

You will get the exact same flow performance doing the setup I suggested.

The point behind ram air hood was if you are going to throw away $250-350 you may as well keep saving and get the real deal, A ram air hood that actually would give you better performance. Again, your not going to get any better "airflow" or noticeable gains performance over the $50 setup I suggested compared to the $250-350 CAI... Defiantly not worth the extra money, your just throwing it away, if you want something that would get better performance, then that would be a ram air hood, that would give you a better performance gain over the "equally performing" $50 dollar setup I suggested and the over priced $250-350 CAI's.

Okay I explained it like 5 different ways in that paragraph. If you don't get it now then you never will and you will just end up wasting $200-300, That money you could spend on something else that would help you get better performance.

Originally Posted by Swopedaddy
The K&N and the XDI both have the better filters
That was one of the very first things I said.

""Find one on ebay you like the look of, pay $15-20 and get it. Throw away the filter when you get it and buy a quality filter such as the K&N cone filters""
Far as the tube providing better airflow? not so, cheap filter versus good filter yes but the tube is not going to give you any noticeable performance gains at the pedal.

I have the K&N so I know what I am talking about. Guys who have the ebay setup (with a quality K&N cone filter added) get the exact same performance as me. (I only paid $25 for my K&N FIPK, If I had to pay more then $50 I would of never got it)
Name:  SSPX0174.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  107.3 KB
Name:  SSPX0175.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  106.8 KB

Last edited by schusterjo; 03-15-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Swopedaddy

I agree that the Ram Hood would be the best way to go. I just do not have that kind of money. the K&N that you show is on a 5.9 or a 3.8L set up. The 4.7L, which I have has all kinds of bends and curves which reduces the air. I could jut go out and put a K&N in the stock box, but would like to find something that gets rid of some of the radical curves that the stock system has. What youa re showing in your pst is the similar set up that I have in my Grand Cherokee. Not all the sheaper tubes that I have found on E-Bay have the easier curves int eh tubes and some of them are made of inferior materials which can crack and allow air to bypass the filter. I have experienced this first hand.

Quick Reply: Which Air Intake