1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Suspension maintenance question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 AM
M Shark
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension maintenance question...

I've noticed that when going over speed bumps or pot holes I can hear the suspension squeak and make other annoying sounds.

What would I need to replace as preventive maintenance in the suspention to keep the D running strong? I currently have 105K miles on my 2002 Durango SXT. I've replaced the shocks with billsteins 2 years ago and that's about all the suspension work that has been done since I bought my truck back in 2004.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by M Shark; 04-29-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may need to replace the rubber grommets that isolates the swaybar. This is the most common issue on squeaks on front end of our trucks. You can go with OEM replacement or find custom polyeuthane grommets.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:33 AM
M Shark
Professional

Any difference with the OEM against polyurethane ones?

My usage is mostly city, highway, occasional dirt roads & beaches.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Kensai
Champion

the polyeurathane's last alot longer. But not easy to find as it is a custom fit situation and you have to do your own research to get the right ones.

OEM's usually good for around 5 years depending on the environment your D is in.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:34 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Poly is 10 times better!

Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Don't replace. I doubt yours will be deteriorated when you look at them.

Get motorcycle chain wax, squirt it in as best you can and your done for months if not a couple of years.

They just squeak... a lot at times. I could get mine to by just getting in and out of the seat. No I do not weigh 500lbs either.

IndyDurango

Old 04-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Neo1130
Veteran

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
No I do not weigh 500lbs either.

IndyDurango
495 is pretty damn close though! Mine squeak something fierce when I go over speed bumps...

Old 05-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Kensai
Champion

I've tried all the temp solutions on my grommets. But none of them ever lived up more than a few months before you get that old bed box spring squeaking again. After a number of years, the rubber just deteriorates and hardens. You dont have that soft hard spongy feel anymore. It is just plain hard hard rubber! I guess living in DFW with extreme weather changes from dry to humid weather, etc just don't work well for hose grommets. The noise and irritation finally got to me and I went ahead and replaced them with OEM's. Too damn lazy to accurately measure the sway bar, etc to properly get the custom made polyeurathanes. I am on year 2 on the OEM grommets and still no noise. I did however pregreased around the areas where the grommets are fitted so I won't have to worry about the temp band aid fixes anymore.

Last edited by Kensai; 05-01-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by
Neo1130;1649643
495 is pretty damn close though!
It's ok to be big boned Indy...... 495 lbs isn't all THAT fat!......

Originally Posted by Kensai
I've tried all the temp solutions on my grommets. But none of them ever lived up more than a few months before you get that old bed box spring squeaking again. After a number of years, the rubber just deteriorates and hardens. You dont have that soft hard spongy feel anymore. It is just plain hard hard rubber! I guess living in DFW with extreme weather changes from dry to humid weather, etc just don't work well for hose grommets. The noise and irritation finally got to me and I went ahead and replaced them with OEM's. Too damn lazy to accurately measure the sway bar, etc to properly get the custom made polyeurathanes. I am on year 2 on the OEM grommets and still no noise. I did however pregreased around the areas where the grommets are fitted so I won't have to worry about the temp band aid fixes anymore.
+2 on that Kensai.

If you replace the bushings, that should be scared (you need to take a look) and put some silicone lube on it should last ya. If anything while you have them out lube them and reinstall. Poly is the best way to go tho!

Old 05-01-2009, 06:52 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

495... LOL

6'2" & 285... okay then!

IndyD

Quick Reply: Suspension maintenance question...