1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Having major issues with my durango.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 AM
bjamick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having major issues with my durango.

Well this is actually my gf's car, and while she was driving one day it started with a loud ticking and a loss of power. So we towed it to my house so I could inspect it. As I pulled the valve cover off of the side that was making the noise I found a rocker that had popped off the lifter and valve totally. So, I replace all the lifters just on that side.

After I finished I cranked it up, yet now I can hear a pretty loud ticking noise coming from the other side now. The side that I fixed was now quite compared to the passenger side. I went ahead and let it run for a little bit, then pulled it down the driveway a tad, when I seen the oil pressure drop. Well back to when I pulled the valve cover off, this thing was sludged up bad underneath there. I believe a large chunk made it's way down and has now clogged up the pick-up. After I shut it off I tried cranking to be positive it had lost pressure. Now it wouldn't crank? So I checked the codes, P0420, P0442, and P0455. Would this cause the truck not to start? I heard the vacuum leak but couldn't find the hose that went to it. It was still running though with the leak.

Anyways guys sorry for the long read, if you could help me out it would be great.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:55 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well with a lifter falling off, letting it run with a loud tick on the other side, oil pressure dropped and stayed low and sludge i would say didn't matter if it started or not u need a rebuild.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:57 PM
kev2
Veteran

the codes are cat effecency and evap system (offf the top of my head)....not going to prevent it from cranking...

If its not cranking ....how do you hear vacuum noise?
cranking = the starter motor works and is spinning the emgine...is it spinning (cranking)?

when turning key gauges work lights etc?
sorry for starting easy stupid...
vehicle in Park, try shaking shifter or moving to N..
swap starter relay.
check all battery cables- tight & clean. both ends

sorry I will not write the eng off without trying some things first - nothing to loose maybe 20$

Old 09-01-2009, 11:24 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like she needs to change the oil more often.....Say every 3000 to 5000 miles and learn how to check the oil level.

Might have ruined the timing chain and now the valves are off time. SOunds like a rebuild to me. Do a compression test to find out.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:00 PM
bjamick

Sorry guys let me elaborate. I did start the truck as soon as I finished installing the lifters. It was fine, except for the valvetrain noise on the passenger side. I seen where the vacuum leak was, while it was running. It's on the throttle body, and it's small, I couldn't find any loose hoses though. It had plenty oil pressure, for about 5 min, then that's when it steadily started losing oil pressure. I shut it off before I seen 0 on the gauge.

When I shut the motor off it was not knocking, so no bearings have spun. As for the oil changes, I bought it with 116k on it, it now has 125k. I have changed it 3 times since I've owned it. All this damage was from previous owner who doesn't know how to take care of his vehicles.

I'll be doing a compression check as soon as I can borrow a tool to do it. Also as for the timing I never removed the timing chain off the cam. So it stayed in place throughout the install. I'm thinking, the other side is now needing to be done bc I could hear some pinging or ticking I guess coming out the exhaust while it was running. I checked it with my homemade stethoscope and found it to be coming from the passenger side valve cover.

Last edited by bjamick; 09-02-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:19 PM
kev2
Veteran

Is it starting?

having the plugs out for a compression test....good time to use a detergent ...the no load cranking will distribute it and the results of compression test will tell us what next- drain and refill- or $$ repairs and that is the @20$ I mentioned...

Think positive!! you two Hydrashocker

Old 09-02-2009, 04:46 PM
bjamick

No it wouldn't start up after i killed it the last time. It's turning over like usual, it just sounds like it's not firing now? I'm going to be draining the oil tonight. I'm sure there will be loads of crap that came from the top end.

It could be possible that since the valvetrain is hurt on the passenger side but is now good on the drivers side it could be messing up the way it starts. One of the valve could be shut, that would cause some issues. Also the vacuum leak to, it could just be a combination of things causing this. But first I want to clean the oil pan and pickup before I go to far.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kev2
Think positive!! you two Hydrashocker
Me???????.......LOL

Thinking you need a compression test before anything.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 AM
bjamick

Ok guys, here is where the big vacuum leak is. What goes right here?

Old 09-03-2009, 11:55 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are we looking at? Is that the side of the intake on a 4.7 where the TB mounts? Gotta give more details. As it is, it's just a bunch of black lines. Sorry.

IndyD

Quick Reply: Having major issues with my durango.