1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Torsion Key and Shackles to lift a D

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:48 PM
ajoshi91
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i believe so. that or else the bolts are metric where it would be something like 12mm? idk but i've seen them and 9/16 sounds about right. almost looks like 1/2 inch washer would fit to but rather be a little bigger than a little smaller.

good luck. Its really not to bad. shouldnt take more than a couple hours to do if you do it slow and scratch your head a little.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is that I hear, moparman is actually going to his lift tomorrow? I won't believe it untill I see it haha.

Just don't forget to tell the alignment shop not to touch the torsion bars. And keep an eye on the tech doing the work if you have time to kill. That just might be the hardest part of the whole lift right there ha.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:33 AM
ajoshi91
Captain

Yeah the guy who did my alignment did take a while. Cant wait to see how it turns out!!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That must mean he didn't get lazy and just adjust the t-bars to finish it off.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Evon Trizmo
That must mean he didn't get lazy and just adjust the t-bars to finish it off.
Hell yea bro!

He must have had to do it the correct way and not the lazy way......

Old 04-02-2011, 04:46 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So for the exact reason that I was skeptical to try this, I have come to a road block. I got the upper bolt out easy but the bottom bolt is stuck in the rubber bushing. I've tried cutting the head off the bolt, I've tried an air chisel, I just can't get it out for the life of me. If I can get it put back together I don't think it would be safe to drive on it since I made a gap in the head while trying to chisel it off. I already got all new hardware in case it came to this but now I am in deep. I need to know where I can get new bushings at. I need help ASAP!

Last edited by MoparMan1991; 04-02-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:00 PM
ajoshi91
Captain

Have to tried putting on some sort of wd-40 on the bolts? I've heard penetrating blast aka PB catalyst is good stuff.

Thats weird that your bolt is stuck. try to get as much weight of the springs as possible and try to crank it man. also if you have new hardware and cant get the head of the bolt to break try attacking the nut. try sanding around the bolt where the nut is to get some rust off and try knocking it loose with a hammer maybe? carefully try with a hammer from the top of the nut maybe?

As far as the bushings go I'm not sure where you could get them besides the dealer. maybe an auto parts store would have some.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, been there & done this.

It should be like this, you have a bolt that goes through the center of a metal bushing. This is why the out edges of the mounting bracket doesn't colaps when it's torqued. Then that metal bushing goes through the rubber bushing. The rubber bushing supports the leaf spring.

The inner bushing should be steel as as the bolt. Now, that bushing should have the rubber bushing wrapped around it as stated. The bolt is turning and so is the metal bushing hitz the reson why the bolt won't come out.

You have 2 options:

1. Cut off both sides of the bolt and bent the mounting brackets out slightly so the bolt falls through.
2. Heat the **** out of the rubber bushing and burn it out literaly, then you can see what I'm talking about then knock the bolt out of the metal bushing.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:22 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Well the dealership said I had to buy whole new leaf springs as they don't sell just the bushings. AutoZone had some bushings for 51 a piece so I have those on order, if they dont work, ill get a refund. If I cook the rubber part then what good does this do me? I still would need a new bushing. But Im guessing that is just a way to get the bolt/bushing out. HERE is a link to the bushings I have on order. I dont know what the size of the old bushings are and this was all they had.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:27 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Oh and Ajoshi, the bottom bolts don't have a typical nut head, it has some goofy heavy duty torx like head on it. I was able to clamp onto it with vise grips and wiggle it around but its all seized up on the bolt/steelbushing part. I plan to grease it up with anti sieze grease so this will never happen again.

Quick Reply: Torsion Key and Shackles to lift a D