1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

45 rfe transmission, 4.7 02 durango

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I smell a Torque Convertor Solenoid or TPS.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:23 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I smell a Torque Convertor Solenoid or TPS.
+1 i was thinking TPS, but the torque converter makes sense too

Old 01-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There ya go. The experts have spoken, go with the TPS or the TCS/.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 PM
jds_jeep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No Codes

I went to Advance Auto to pull the codes. There were no codes to pull. After I thought about it I pulled the battery terminal to reset the computer so the codes got erased. I will have to drive the truck for awhile and wait for the check engine light to come back on. Once completed I will post the codes.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:49 PM
jds_jeep
Unhappy Still No Codes

Ok here is an update. I drove the Durango 20 or more miles on three different days and it did not set any codes. I checked around and there is one and only one recommend tranny shop in the area. This shop is completely covered up. This was the diagnosis. Metal in the pan, not enough pressure getting to the drive clutches. So I guess it is tranny time. I checked on a used tranny online for the Durango and I can get several with less than 60,000 miles for under $225.00. So I have few questions. What should I expect to pay for shipping? Someone mentioned upgrading to a 545 RFE. Cost to upgrade to a 545 RFE and how difficult is this? Considering I am going to be towing a boat and a RV trailer approximatley 4500 pounds. What other upgrades should I consider while I am at it? My thoughts are obviously a new transmission cooler. Size ?? Anyone. Expected Cost? A external screw on transmission filter? Is this going to screw up my line pressures freak out the computer etc? A transmission temperature sensor. In the pan? In the line? Suggestions on the temperature sensor?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:27 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Did the shop write down what the line pressure was? To update a 45RFE to a 545RFE is a flash update on the TCM.(dealer). Are you still having your idle problem? If so and you guys are going to think i am nuts, Unplug the clockspring and drive it around with the air lite on. The air bags will not deploy. The reason is the clockspring share the same circuit as the TPS and iac motor.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:44 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
If so and you guys are going to think i am nuts, Unplug the clockspring and drive it around with the air lite on. The air bags will not deploy. The reason is the clockspring share the same circuit as the TPS and iac motor.
You officially went off the deep end......LOL....

Old 02-05-2010, 07:29 PM
jds_jeep
Question Metal in transmission Pan

Mater Tech that is very interesting to know and thanks for the input. However I am wondering how a bad TPS/IAC cirucuit causes Metal to appear in the transmission pan? The truck idles fine in park or neutral. ....... In line screw on transmission filter kit for a 45 RFE. Has anyone done this? Where can I get Parts?............ Transmission temperature sensor and gauge I already have. I either need to modify the transmission pan I have or buy one with a drilled and tapped hole to mount the sending unit. Has anyone done this?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:42 PM
jds_jeep
Thumbs up Transmission Temperature Gauge & Sending Unit

Just in cas anyone is interested this is the transmission temperature sending unit I am installing. You can check it out here http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2640/

Old 02-05-2010, 07:55 PM
jds_jeep
Question Two Different 4.7 Liter Engines?

Summit Racing wants to know if I have a 285 cubic inch 4.7 liter or a 287 cubic inch 4.7 liter in my 2002 Dodge Durango SLT 2 wheel drive. Anyone know how to tell the difference?

Quick Reply: 45 rfe transmission, 4.7 02 durango