1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Performance Mods 02 SXT.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:54 PM
myshoeisonfire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Performance Mods 02 SXT.....

got an 02 SXT with 4.7 2.5" exhaust with 40 series flowmaster (no cat)

ive looked around the forum a bit...

looking for some mods... like larger fuel injectors....

are the stock ones the standard 22# injectors? usually ive had luck on other brands of V8's going with 24# ones...

also, I heard rumors of a new intake? mind has the large plastic one.... any links, or thought as to which ones are best?

I am in an area where emissions / cat converters do not matter.

most people seem to want POWER, AND MPG...I, however, Do not care about MPG

my friend has a jeep with this same motor in it, and it REALLY RIPS!! I know the jeeps are a bit lighter.. but it has LOTS of power!... did they de-tune these engines for use in the Durango?

thanks in advance!
-Dan

Old 02-22-2010, 01:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

1. The regular injectors will give you enough fuel even in porting heads. I don't think you need bigger.

2. I know of camming the motor or P&Ping the heads, exhaust 3", Ram Air CIA, could run headers if built right, but there really isn't much to do to that motor.

3. The Jeep is probably re-geared with lower gears giving you more "Power". Yours probably has taller gears like 3:55.1 and he's might be 4:11.1's.

I know there is a package you can get for the 4.7L but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. One of the 4.7L guys should know of it?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to say, great name Dan!
You can do a homebrew CAI and alot more mods using this link, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...wers-faqs.html. HTH.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:34 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you could get a bigger throttle body from dan the fastman, im pretty sure there are cams out there, not 100% sure as i dont have any money to mod mine

Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
you could get a bigger throttle body from dan the fastman, im pretty sure there are cams out there, not 100% sure as i dont have any money to mod mine
It's ok, your just cheap!.....

Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
It's ok, your just cheap!.....
lol, cheap and broke are two totally different things hydra . . .

. . . . ok maybe not

Old 02-24-2010, 01:13 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he's just cheap. I seem to recall someone saying their driveway can fit 12 cars... Or was I mistaken?

Old 02-25-2010, 12:20 AM
myshoeisonfire

is what im hearing correct??!?.. that all the power has already been designed out of this engine? usually there's stuff you can do!! its not a freakin honda after all! lol V8's RARLEY have ALL the power from the factory :^)

im not opposed to swapping out the cams, also on these gas motors, is there any benefit to running a modded/chip / programmer?

Do the 4.7's deal with a supercharger ok? or should i look for another motor?

how about the actual plastic main intake manifold..? any benefit on changing that out?

***** GM refrence alert***

Usually on the chevy TPI 5.7L I swap out to 14# injectors (12# come stock)and custom write a program chip for the computer.... the computer on GM cars allows you to do this.... never played around with dodge before...

the 2002 Durango works well for me - and I have no intention of switching to a different vehicle, or year.. I do government work, and all the equipment I have is specially designed for this year / model - that being said... I am not worried about meeting emissions, or spending some money!!

I have been toying with the idea of swapping in a Durmax - (950HP sounds good to me!)

thanks for any thoughts!!!!
-Dan

Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by myshoeisonfire
is what im hearing correct??!?.. that all the power has already been designed out of this engine? usually there's stuff you can do!! its not a freakin honda after all! lol V8's RARLEY have ALL the power from the factory :^)

im not opposed to swapping out the cams, also on these gas motors, is there any benefit to running a modded/chip / programmer?

how about the actual plastic main intake manifold..? any benefit on changing that out?

Usually on the chevy TPI 5.7L I swap out to 14# injectors (12# come stock)and custom write a program chip for the computer.... the computer on GM cars allows you to do this.... never played around with dodge before...

the 2002 Durango works well for me - and I have no intention of switching to a different vehicle, or year.. I do government work, and all the equipment I have is specially designed for this year / model - that being said... I am not worried about meeting emissions, or spending some money!!

I have been toying with the idea of swapping in a Durmax - (950HP sounds good to me!)

thanks for any thoughts!!!!
-Dan
4.56:1 gears and you'll be smiling from ear to ear.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by myshoeisonfire

-Dan
There isn't much avalibe for the 4.7L so I don't know what to tell ya.

As for you Duramax idea, First you need to get your numbers correct....AKA...."950HP".......ROTFLMFAO!

Quick Reply: Performance Mods 02 SXT.....