1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango with a possible ABS brake issue... need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 03:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There is not much you can do using a multimeter. You really need a DRB-II machine for ABS systems.

You never answered the question, does the ABS light illuminate in the dash cluster when you go to start your truck and does the light go off?

Old 09-13-2010, 12:09 PM
rhillman75
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no ABS or brake light on. I bled the brakes and put new fluid in. When you are driving it is the pump that you hearing running while the brake pushed back at you and vibrates while your are driving and attempting to brake. It doesn't do it all the time but it does seem like it is the ABS pump.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:31 PM
rhillman75
Rookie
Default Update to ABS issue...still searching for ideas.

I am not trying to start a new posts, but my diagnosis is this... 2001 Durango 5.9L SLT with 4 wheel ABS. The pedal is giving push, vibration, and resistance at 3/4 the way down. I can hear the ABS pump running under the hood and sometimes it continues to run for about 3-5 seconds after releasing the brake. I have no ABS or brake indicator lights, the fluid was changed over the weekend and the problem still continues although it is intermittent at times.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:42 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

You should take it to the dealer sorry to say.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:47 PM
rhillman75
Rookie

Here is what I came up with... I ohm tested each of the 3 wheel sensors (1 in each front hub and 1 in the rear axle housing) and I have readings pretty much the same. So that tells me that the sensors are most likely within parameters. The next thing I did just for giggles was pull the ABS fuse from under the junction box. Now of course I get a ABS and a BRAKE lght on just as I knew I would, but this is the first time I have seen any lights with the current problems I have. I then to it around the block and I have no pulsing or resistance on the brake pedal at 3/4 way depressed. Now being the fact that I called the nearest Dodge dealer and they quoted me an estimate of anywhere from $175.00-$225.00 just for the computer hook up, I was wondering if anyone in my shoes would just try to replace the CAB/HCU unit since I can get one from $100.00-$150.00? The Dodge dealer qouted me at $575.00 for a new CAB/HCU plus the intial hook up fee. Like I said before... I have no lights with the fuse back in... when I press the pedal down at 3/4 way I get pulsating and resistance and you can audibly hear the pump running and it does stop running until about 5 seconds after you release the brake.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:41 AM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Im fairly new to Dodge specifics, but a lot of vehicles with ABS have to be bled via a scan tool... at a dealer, (Unless your lucky enough to know somebody who has one) or other shop. The pump simply will not bleed properly by the standard bleeding procedure. Not saying thats your issue, could be a bad pump, just a suggestion.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yup he is correct^, even if you replace the unit you need the scan tool to properly bleed the system

Old 09-14-2010, 10:47 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

You should try a junk yard for ***** and giggles. Find one with front wheel sensors about the same year and grab the electric ABS module unplug it and install it in yours!

I mean, what your out a few dollars and a lil time, and if it works you can use it or buy a new one.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:14 PM
grehmer

I know this is an old thread but wonder how the issue was fixed. I have the EXACT same symptoms with my 2002 Durango and one shop had no clue so I took it to the dealer and after $110 diagnostic I was told that the ABS Control Module needed replacing - $800, the antilock assembly needed replacing - $800, and the rear sensing unit needed replacing; total cost to me - $2,200. I will be on the hunt for used parts and want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 PM
laz45
Veteran

You are. I just went through this, I'm in the middle of the repair,I'm sure it's a fix...
Hydra's 2010 post is your answer.Check through your local salvage yards or ebay for a CAB (Controller-Anti Lock Brakes) Make sure it's from the same year and it's has the same brake system as yours,rwal or awal.If your rear speed sensor needs to be replaced go to Autozone and buy p/n# SU3356. Read the thread in the DIY section under speed sensors,I have a thread going in 1st Gen Durango's under advice for abs with a link to that thread in it also, read it too...Start there and see where you are after.....best of luck with it.....

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango with a possible ABS brake issue... need help!