1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango with a possible ABS brake issue... need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:27 PM
rhillman75
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Durango with a possible ABS brake issue... need help!

I have an oppurtunity to purchase this Durango (gen 1) for a very reasonable price. It recently had a new rearend put in and now I have noticed that when I go to press on the brake at either a low driving speed or high driving speed... the brake acts just fine until it gets about 3/4 way down and then it starts to pulsate and give resistance. From my understanding the guy said it was not doing this before the rear end was swapped but could not provide any other answers except that the shop that did it was an import shop and that the import mechanic spent 2 days trying to figure it out and came up with no answers. I have no lights coming on the dash when you press the brake or even sitting still. I just do not understand why there are no lights, my scan tool shows no codes, and the fact that it only does it after the pedal is about 3/4 way down. You can also hear a noise coming from below when this pulsating occurs. This Durango is in perfect condition, but I do not want to put my family in it if it is not safe. Any thoughts or suggestions where I can start to look would be great!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:52 PM
dolittle
Veteran

Probably a warped rotor. Not hard to fix just have to find witch one.
My guess is front. Dose the 01s have rear disc breaks?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:31 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

01s do NOT have rear disc, the only year that does is 03

and i agree, sounds like a warped rotor, besides, you normally wont feel rear wheel abs kicking in since most of the brake power it applied at the front of the truck

Old 09-08-2010, 12:28 AM
rhillman75
Rookie
Default Possible ABS Issues?

From my understanding you guys are pointing me towards the rotors. My next question would be, why is there an audible sound from below the dash or under the hood during the time the the pulsating occurs? The sound continues for about 2-3 seconds after I let off the brake pedal completely. So my next question is this... if there was a problem with the ABS would it throw a ABS light or check engine light? I haven't checked the front rotors so I cannot be sure they would be the culprit, however I do not want to act like an a$$ and ask the import mechanic if he was smart enough to check that possibility. Some of the mechanics there stated that they thought it was an ABS issue. How would you as a buyer know if it was an ABS issue or not?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:21 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

i would expect the abs/brake light in the dash to be on, it should run a self check when you first turn the key on (just to make sure the light works) and then go off, also where under the dash is this clicking coming from, there is ALOT of stuff under the dash that makes clicking sounds, i will also add that i have never actually heard a clicking when my abs goes off

Old 09-08-2010, 09:23 AM
rhillman75
Rookie
Default Still trying to solve possible ABS issue.

This is a 2000 Durango SLT. The problem is with the brakes. When you press the peadl everything is just as normal until you get the pedal about 3/4 way down then it makes a noise under the hood and the pedal itself pulsates. A couple her have said it could be a warped rotor...but wouldn't you fell the vehicle pulling from side to side when braking. The noise that it makes sounds like the pump is trying to pump or vice versa... and it continues for about 3 seconds after you left off the brake.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:24 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

no need for a second thread on the same issue by the same person

Old 09-08-2010, 06:01 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be you just need a brake fluid change or a ABS module going out.

Could also be a vacuum issue.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

i forgot about the vacum, thats a good place to check, and a brake fluid bleed never hurt anybody (i promise)

Old 09-08-2010, 11:23 PM
rhillman75
Rookie

If I wanted to check the ABS module can you do it with a mulitmeter? Is there a way to test ohms or resistance, or does it HAVE to go to the dealer? With the way the dealers charge for just having their techs pick up a scanner and read your system I think I would be better off just buying a module. I am going to try to bleed the system first.

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango with a possible ABS brake issue... need help!