1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

44RE transmission clutch pack destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:31 AM
webechillin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 44RE transmission clutch pack destroyed

Hi,
I'm new here and would like some opinions on what kind of transmission malfunction would have caused this,

Front clutch pack

Front clutch hub

Rear clutch hub

Front band

The transmission, 44RE, is out of a 1999 Durango 5.2 4X4 OD with 90K miles.
At 40K miles I put a Transgo shift kit, and B&M cooler & synthetic fluid in. I pulled a 24ft. travel trailer with a load equalizing hitch, maybe put 1000 miles on tops pulling the trailer. TV cable was a pita to get right.

Just about 2 months ago I adjusted the front band because I thought after 50K miles it needed it and the shifts were kind of sloppy with 1-2 flare. It fixed the flare so I thought I would changr flius & filter & found the damage.
I used my in/lb torque wrench which could not have enough leverage to do that to the band even if I put a 6 foot cheater pipe on it.

Now I am in the process of rebuilding it, bands, clutch packs, seals, gaskets, "O" rings, reman torque converter, and the parts that were destroyed. Also a used valve body.

I have read through most if not all of the posts in the big sticky, have the Dodge Durango factory service manual, also other service manuals I found online, also some videos.

But I can't decide what would have been the major cause of this.
I'm thinking someone seen this before and knows, "yea seen it a thousand times" "just change the OD hypoid cycle valve and you got it licked!"
or something like that.
Any thoughts? What else could I check? Do?

Thanks for looking

Webechillin

Last edited by webechillin; 09-19-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:15 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You mentioned hoping someone has seen this a lot and can pin point the solution/cause. Not really. Usually failures come from no maintenance, simple part failure or faulty maintenance.

If I had to guess, the maintenance wasn't up to spec. Good idea to service the trans, however it must be done right. DIY trans service is risky. That is just a guess and not meant to be an inditement of your tech skills.

Other than that, fatigue on 11 year old metals.

Also REGARDLESS of miles, 30k miles or 3 years MAX on the trans service intervals. Your interval was way to long.

Definitely is toast. Good luck on the fixes.

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 09-19-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:41 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

That was the rear drum,What did the front drum assy look like.When anyone gets 1 to 2 flare shift,ck the throttle cable first.Also when you install a shift kit,the ajustments maybe not same as factory.The front band may have to tight.Thats why it broke the way it did or the front servo was apply al the time.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Personally I think you had too much tention on the shift kit springs. If you have TOO much it will slam into 1st and 2nd shift and over time cause that isssue. You should have backed off the spring adjustment (or gotten a looser spring closer to OEM) when the shift was so hard.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:30 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree. +1

Old 09-21-2010, 12:38 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The FSM specifications has you tighten and then back off in fact. +3

IndyD

Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 AM
webechillin

Yea I thought the Transgo band adjustment specs (snug it up then back off #? turns) was not very scientific. To me sung it up translates to not very important.
The shift kit (spring selection, drill sizes) was set up for towing not whiplash shifts.
I did add the resistor, and from what I understood it was supposed to fool the computer to believe the trans temp was above the point where it would shift into OD when it was below 32 or lower. After I seen the schematic (first time ever last week) for the solenoids and sensor turns out they had me put it in series with the pressure sensor, and not the thermistor. I know that this would definitely affect sensor calibration.
Yea just cut the red wire and put it there, not to fussy.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Again, I think the spring was too stiff and most likely your foot was kinda heavy on the throttle.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:41 PM
webechillin
Default oops there goes that foot again..

Foot got away only 1 time I swear!
I have a few more questions, if any one might know
I got a used valve body, they said it would fit my tranny but after closer exam I see the VB's are different. The one that came out of my trans has a bigger suction port than the used VB I just got.
Also on mine, the pressure sensor has 4 wires , the Used VB press sensor has 3 wires. Connector is also different.
Can I use my original solenoids and sensor on the used VB? They fit ok. And just disregard the small difference in the size of the suction port?
Can these be swapped or are there other internal VB differences that would cause it to not work? Or is this uncharted water?

Used VB on left, My original on right

Thanks

WebeScratchinwehead

Old 09-23-2010, 04:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Those look WAY different?

Quick Reply: 44RE transmission clutch pack destroyed