1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 durango issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 04:56 PM
jmess
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 durango issues

ok so recently i picked up a 98 durango 5.9l for my first car. it needed some work but nothing major. i just cant seem to figure this out. my reverse lights dont work and the bulbs are fine and new, but the rest of the rear lights work. also the headlights wont work but the high beams do. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

any other odd electrical problems?? i would check the headlight bulbs on those not working (high and low are in one bulb on these trucks), if not it could be the CTM gone bad, it controls all the lights as well as much much more

EDIT: thought i read this in your post, but guess not, check all your fuses and relays before spending any big money

Old 09-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Azriley82

Headlight bulbs not working on low but they do on high sounds like the bulbs are bad. the light bulb is a 9007 with is a dual beam bulb so try that. your back up lights could be be a wiring issue or maybe a reverse switch. First thing I would do I put the durango in reverse and check for power to the light socket, and go from there

Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 PM
jmess
Veteran

I'm sorry I left a few things out. Yes there are some other electrical issues. The speedometer sensor is busted but yet the check engine light isnt on. As far as I know it should be on whenever there is a code. Also the light telling me the 4x4 is on doesn't work. One last thing is my first impression about the back up lights was the fuse. It was blown so I replaced it and as soon as I turned the key it blew again. I believe that's it.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:27 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

if the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key then you have a short in the circuit, get an ohm meter and start looking for it, and replace the bulbs for the headlights to see if that fixes the no low beams problem and get back to us we will go from there

Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 PM
jmess
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
if the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key then you have a short in the circuit, get an ohm meter and start looking for it, and replace the bulbs for the headlights to see if that fixes the no low beams problem and get back to us we will go from there
alright ill work on that tomorrow

Old 09-23-2010, 03:47 PM
jmess
Veteran

bought new lights and put them in. they still dot work unless its on high beams

Old 09-23-2010, 08:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

To me it sounds like a short.

I would replace the transfer case position sensor. That is what tells the tells the 4x4 lights to come on and being a 1998 it is most likely bad by now. It is on the top side of the transfer case.

On the reverse lights, there is a neutral/park switch right by the where the linkage goes into the transmission. This switch could be bad. I would unplug it and place a fuse in the dash and see if it blows. If not then I would suspect the switch or a short down stream. You could test with resistance or continuity to ground looking for a short on the down stream side once you take both the reverse light bulbs out. If there is no short replace the switch. If there is a short fix it.

As for the head lights, replace or swap the relay in the PDC. If that doesn't work, test for power at the switch and out of it.

Lastly it could be a CTM, however they are not so prevalent to go out as the 2000-2003's are.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:47 PM
jmess
Veteran

cold it be possible that the switch for the lights is bad? or no because the highs work and so do the orange lights?

Old 09-26-2010, 09:48 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

i doubt it, but anything is possible

Quick Reply: 98 durango issues