1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help! what did I break????

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:11 AM
oklahomafbody
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<--- Liability currently. I know the 46 only fits from a 5.9, just hoped maybe it shared a lot of the internals with another trans that may be easier to find. I will probably attempt the rebuild myself though, if I can scrape the funds together. Oklahoma Transmission supply in Tulsa has done me right previously. New torque converter for $160 out the door. Whats a good average for a rebuild kit for one of these? I would also like to do as much upgrading as I can afford while Im in it.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL!!! OKBoy, I was in no way condoning or suggesting you do any neutral drops or driving around in neutral. Especially with a kid in the back. I was just relaying what a dumb 15 yo I was in trying to solve the problem that you have. Please by all means, take your time and fix it correclty. I can relate, I have a 4 and a one yo at home.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans01Durango
I have a 4 and a one yo at home.
Ok, what the hell is a "yo" and a "4"?.......

Old 12-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4 year old and a one year old. Silly hydra! LOL!!!

Old 12-15-2010, 02:35 PM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

No worrys Dan, It was late and I was tired. I knew you didnt mean for me to try that lol. I would though if it wasnt something I cared about and needed, and didnt have my kid with me. lmao could be fun, take the agression out

Old 12-15-2010, 08:50 PM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Called around and found one transmission at a salvage inside about a 75 mile radius.... And the guy wont sell it to me because its out of a 2000 Durango, said it was a 5.9L but his interchange book says it wont work.... I thought a 46re was a 46re? Did they change a solenoid or some wiring or what? Can I make it work with parts from mine?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There are a few sensors, but I don't know all it lintels. Contact master tech

Old 12-16-2010, 12:42 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Some of the bellhousing are not the same, mainly the inspection cover for the torque converter bolts. And the starter.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:44 AM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Ok that makes sense. Would a rebuild kit come with new drums etc? Im guessing not from what little I've seen looking at kits. Would it be practical to find used drums or new? Are they a common wear item or if its not broke its ok? Sorry for the inexperienced questions.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:46 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by oklahomafbody
Called around and found one transmission at a salvage inside about a 75 mile radius.... And the guy wont sell it to me because its out of a 2000 Durango, said it was a 5.9L but his interchange book says it wont work....
You might try asking the salvage yards if they can find one for you.

I recently blew out the front differential in my Durango (original mechanic who looked at it used the word "disintegrated"...) A nearby salvage yard that I use from time to time didn't have one, but they located one for me for only an extra $35 shipping charge. Bonus is that for the same shipping charge they were willing to have it delivered straight to the mechanic who's doing the work for the exact same charge. So for an extra 35 bucks they're bringing one in from way further than I would have wanted to drive myself, and I don't even have to pick it up and haul it to the shop. (It would have cost me more than the 35 just in gas if I had done the running myself to get this one...)

The one sticking point this particular place will only deliver to a business address. But if you have friend who runs a business, that would probably work. Doesn't have to be a mechanic, I've had them deliver stuff to a phone company before....

Might be worth asking about.

Last edited by coreybv; 12-16-2010 at 03:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Help! what did I break????