1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help! what did I break????

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 02:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by oklahomafbody
Listing only says it came from a 98 4x4 Ram with the 360. Why would the transmissions be different between those with the same engine and 4x4?
If the Ram is a 1998 and yours is a 1998 and the transmissions are both 46RE then they are the same unless 4X4 versus 2X4. In a 4X4 trans, at the back goes into a marriage ring to bolt to the T-case, whereas a 2X4 goes directly to a drive shaft connection. This tail end is called the output shaft. That is the only difference.

You should be able to unbolt the tail end of the 2X4 trans and bolt on your 4X4 marriage ring style tail end in replacement.

Personally, I would try to find one that is a 1998-1999 Durango 4X4 like yours.

Originally Posted by oklahomafbody
Can anybody tell me the difference in this trans and one from a 98 Ram, same motor and 4x4?
Should be none.

Differences in GVWR are that of the suspension, vehicle weight, design, and equipment. For instance, a 2wd with the same year, style, motor and gearing will be more GVWR because it supports less weight (no transfer case) and also no other gearing to go through to rob power (T-sase). Usually a 2X4 can tow more than a 4X4 by about 200 lbs because they have no T-case (added weight and gearing), not that one is better than the other.

My truck is a 2500 and has a 47RE trans which is a 46RE basic build only without all the problems (built heavier and better) but with my suspension, gearing, and motor I am at 19,000 GVWR that equates to 13,000 Lbs towing capacity, however it is still a Ram.

Anyway, a 46RE is a 46RE regardless (unless 2X4-4X4 output shafts) if they are built in the same years and have the same sensors, starters, and so forth.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 12-17-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:56 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah just make sure it's a 46RE. My 3500 has the 47RE aswell.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:44 PM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Thank you Hydra, that made sense. I know they won't put a 3500 capable trans in a 1500 with a 5.2 that's what I was figuring, as long as both were four wheel drive and gas 360s and same year even, they should be the same.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:58 PM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

I'm posting from my phone, so sorry for the extra post-- but. I have a small update also. I have the D at my uncles house outside of town. I decided to screw around with it today since it was already messed up. I took it out on the pavement and put it in neutral ( since neutral was also forward ), punched it, left bout 30 ft trail of rubber didn't affect anything. Parked it and came back out a couple hours later, started it and revved it a few times in park, and then there was a clunk, and it free revved like it should. What the hell? I put it in reverse and it went right into reverse and backed right up!!!! Put it in neutral and revved like it should. Drove it up the road and back a couple miles and drove like always. Only thing I noticed is it goes into gear slightly harder than normal. not planning on driving it again till i can get it looked at, but just made me smile anyway.

Last edited by oklahomafbody; 12-19-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:04 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm stumped.....LOL

Old 12-19-2010, 03:17 AM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Me too! lmao, felt like an early Christmas present. I know theres got to be something still wrong in there, so I am gonna go ahead and drop the pan, have a look before I try to really drive it. If I dont see anything there, I will have to save some $$$ and pull it anyway to have it looked over. Since it IS working almost 99% normal again, I dont want to destroy it trying to tear into it myself now. Before, It wouldnt have been that big of deal if I tore it apart and couldnt get it back together right or whatever. I could have just kept after the used trans route. I just dont know what to think about the whole situation.

Really still not looking forward to pulling this trans again lol

Old 12-19-2010, 07:17 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I know you had hope it fix it self. But you may have broken some hard parts loose.I recommend still to do a tear down and find out what had happen to cause the problem in the first place.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 PM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Will report back what is found. Now just gotta get time to pull the damn thing.

Quick Reply: Help! what did I break????