Help! what did I break????

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:17 AM
oklahomafbody
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! what did I break????

In the Durango in sig.

On a county road, 35 mph speed limit, missed turn by a few feet because nobody knew where we were going. 16ft trailer, needed 5 feet, started backing up, vehicle came over top of hill at extremely high rate of speed. Threw it in drive and put the truck and trailer in the ditch. Other vehicle missed by maybe 10 feet, kept going. Pulled out of ditch and went up road to turn around, found a place and went to back up and no reverse, slight whine. Was facing uphill and truck would not even roll backwards.

Put it in neutral and tried to let it roll and it took off like it was in drive. Shut it off in neutral and tried to push it and nothing, in reverse, engine off, nothing. Park and reverse, the engine will not rev freely, its under load still, and will kind of rock forward slightly when revved. Have not tried to drive in neutral, but did drive the truck home in regular drive. Probably 40 miles or so. Drives completely normal in drive, no noises, shifts like it always does, downshifts like normal to pass on highway.

Engine off, in Drive, you can push the truck backwards like you should be able to, just not neutral or reverse, or obviously park. Only starts in Park or Neutral, but feels like it would if holding idle up slightly and putting in gear while holding the brakes. It wont move in park but kind of jerks like that, same thing when you shut it off, feels like if you pulled up and shut it off before putting it in Park. Doesnt move, but that little lunge you get when putting in gear while holding brakes feeling. Did I kill it and it eventually explode all together or can I fix it? In the pan possibly?

Have not driven the truck since I got it home after the incident, Just havn't had time to pull the pan, and pretty disgusted and depressed. Out of work and trying to pick up side jobs. This was the last thing I needed. Camaro is still down and trying to sell to fix this thing. Its all we have.

Sorry for the book, just frustrated and hopeing somebody can shine some light, I knew the second I hit the ditch I tore it up, but I figured this damage was probably better than being hit by the larger truck flying down the road, and my family being in the truck.

I have checked underneath, and the fluid, no signs of anything obvious. I dont think the tranny had fully engauged into gear when the rpms came up so its probably the equivalent of a neutral drop. :| Already had this thing out in August for a front pump bushing failure. I really hope I dont have to pull it again, but Im sure that will be the result. I can build engines, etc so maybe somebody can point me in what I need to buy and maybe I can try to repair a transmission.

Edit--- have called a few trans shops and they all just want me to bring it in and open it up for a look. I cant afford that, it is just not an option.

Last edited by oklahomafbody; 12-14-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:28 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

it sounds to me like a transmission problem, get in touch with master tech he will be able to point you in the right direction.

and just for the record these trucks are designed to only start in park and neutral, so that is not part of the problem

Old 12-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds to me your tranny slipped its gears. Happened to me when I was in high school. I was doing neutral drops in a lebaron and the tranny slipped. I was in your exact situation. I had drive in neutral gear and no reverse. I just drove around in neutral for a while until the tranny fixed itself by going back to normal. I am not saying you should go driving around in neutral, dumb idea from a dumb 15 yo kid, take it to a trusted tranny shop and have it checked out.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could have knocked it out of adjustment. Look up at the adjuster on the drivers side of the trans and see if it has moved or if it is damaged.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:50 PM
rvd9431

check to see if you messed up the trans shifter cable or any sensors when you went in the ditch

Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 PM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Pretty large, flat ditch, the ditch itself isnt what caused the damage. The "neutral drop" im 99.5% sure is what caused the problem. I have a two year old so driving around in neutral till it lets go isnt gonna happen lol. Id probably do it if it wasnt something I cared about and didnt have a 2 year old son riding with me in this freezing cold.

Crawled under to check shifter linkage at trans and at TB for the TV cable. Good there. I know its designed to start in park and neutal only, I was just stating that to rule out a neutral saftey switch problem or shifter misadjustment.

Closest shop that I trust to touch it is 40 miles away, and pretty much broke so I need to try to figure out what is wrong with it before I take it anywhere if I cant fix it myself.

All I can say is Panics suck. I was almost killed in a car wreck when I was 17 so when I saw the truck coming over the hill that fast, all I knew was I needed to get out of the way with the least amount of damage.

Does Master Tech mind being PM'd for things like this? Thank you for the replys and the advice.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:13 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is whats going on with the transmission. This problem may have already start and you didn't notice it.If a transmission wants to move forward in park or reverse, the front and rear drums in the transmission have welded together. I recommend a tear down.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 PM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Thanks for the pm and for coming in here. I guess I knew it needed to come out, was just looking for someone with the knowledge to tell me to get my *** in gear and get it pulled. Lol.

I will probably try to tackle this rebuild myself. I have read several manuals, and the thread from the jeep forum. Been building engines and doing drivetrain swaps since I was 12 so I guess its about time to try transmissions. What all trans models can I use internals from if I can find one in good shape cheap? I have been un successful at finding a 46RE around here so far. I have read on here about people using 2wd transmissions are swapping parts over to 4x4s but have seen mixed results on what works and what wont. I have access to an 01 with the 4.7 4x4 is partly why Im asking, I know its the 44 or whatever, but would it be worth pulling and tearing down for parts? It was working perfectly before the D was rolled, but I was told the case or mount point was cracked from the rollover.

Last edited by oklahomafbody; 12-15-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:21 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you need a trans off a 5.9l v8 from a durango/daktoa(not sure if other trucks work or not so im leaving it out), the 45/545 behind the 4.7 is completely different

Old 12-15-2010, 12:37 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes he answers as stated above.

I would turn this into the insurance as a collision as I bet it will cost you over your $500 deductible. Mines only $0, Full coverage kicks ****.....

Quick Reply: Help! what did I break????