1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 durango oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:21 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Evon Trizmo
Well I've never used penzoil because I've heard more bad than good about it so I was just seeing what other people here think.

The sludge problem was a big issue the day I bought the car, the previous owner just got the cheap oil change specials and the engine (especially the oil pickup screen) accumulated a bunch of oil sludge. I cleaned it out pretty good by running a can of seafoam through the crankcase twice with oil changes in between and you wouldn't believe the mess that came out. It was sold to me with a known problem of occasionaly loosing oil pressure so I researched the problem on the mangum engines and the most common cause was a grimey crankcase so I said easy enough to fix and bought it.
If you run synthetic oil for the engine's entire life and do your oil changes every 3k miles you'll certainly have a clean engine for sure. But when you start streatching oil change intervals and running cheap dino oils like the pervious owner did, it certainly does show.

1) grimey crankcase is not always sludge, sludge is rarely, if ever found inside of engines, when it IS found the only way to get rid of it is a complete teardown and scrubbing of the internals, a simple additive will NOT clean up engine sludge if you do have it

2) if your car was really maintained as poorly as you said it was, you are VERY lucky that it was cleaned up by any additive in the oil.

3) if you are so damn convinced that you have sludge, then put up and prove it with PICTURES, either that or stop claiming sludge

Old 04-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well can't hurt to run a little seafoam through it. On the top end you really can't help the carbon build-up it's going to happen. For the just dump one can in your fuel tank and the other goes slowly into your brake booster hose while the engine is running untill you're about 1/2-3/4 empty on the can then just dump it all down there and stall the engine, then let it sit for about 15 minutes to let it do it's thing and start it up and watch out because it will smoke like crazy. On the bottom end just depends on what kind of oil you put in and how often you do oil changes. If it's loosing all oil pressure, even for a second, and you double checked that your oil level isn't low, then you most likely have some sludge problems (unless your oil pump is going but that's much more rare).

Old 04-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

I've never taken the bottom end of my motor down but if I can still locate it, I'll drop the pan and see what kind of mess is left in it for sure. All I know is my oil level was correct and I kept loosing oil pressure for a few seconds randomly, ran seafoam through it twice, drained some pretty nasty black oil out both times and never had an oil pressure problem again (that is untill I ran it low, made a turn and it dropped).

Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Evon Trizmo
Yup all Mobli 1 products are synthetic.

synthetics broke down and the valve tick came back, the dino oils are what cleaned it up a little better and it seemed to burn less of it every month compared to synthetics, but It also will wear out your engine faster.
You really have no idea what your talking about do you?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

That's just what I experienced personally while trying out different brands and types of oils in my engine. My goal was to find out if I benifited from synthetic over dino, using different brands was only because each one claims to do something different to your engine (clean it, extend life, better MPGs, and so on) It seems no one else here switched up oils in their engine after every 2-3 oil changes, of course an oil change doesn't get all the old oil out so they could have reacted with each other to throw the final results off.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3 trucks and the durango they all run mobil 1 fs the years run from 1953 to 01 i use to desert race all our trucks would run mobil 1 theres nothing better when i bought my durango it had 141,000 miles got home changed the oil to mobil 1

Old 04-19-2011, 09:01 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

evon hydra is correct, you clearly havnt done the research, or read the MSDS on the oils, or have any clue what you are talking about and it shows, if you would like to spend some time researching it, and then come back and share your newfound, supportable opion, fine, but please for the love of everything, stop it until you do some research.

also changing oil brands that frequently is really not good and definitely will not give you good results (even if you were having the oil tested each change to see what kind of condition it was in, which it doesnt sound like you were)

Old 04-19-2011, 12:30 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

0.o wow... i never thought that an oil change could spark such an arguement... lol... id love to be running full synthetic but for now im happy with my current oil and i dont wanna end up having to start plugging leaks if i have any

Old 04-19-2011, 02:48 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going with what shrp said about sludge, I totally agree how sludge is just a term thrown around and doesn't fully get used properly 100% of the time. I know first hand heat sludge is because I helped a friend tear down his '86 Ram 150 that he was replacing a timing chain and it hadn't had an oil change in a year at least and tens of thousands if miles.

Basically the truck was a farm truck that he picked up for around $2500 and we rebuilt it and got it running but the night we did the timing chain we had found the definition of sludge. Here's my definition:

Sludge: When you remove the timin chain cover and you must use your hand to remove black pudding from the inside and use lacquer thinner to thin it down enough to fully clean out.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
evon hydra is correct, you clearly havnt done the research, or read the MSDS on the oils, or have any clue what you are talking about and it shows, if you would like to spend some time researching it, and then come back and share your newfound, supportable opion, fine, but please for the love of everything, stop it until you do some research.

also changing oil brands that frequently is really not good and definitely will not give you good results (even if you were having the oil tested each change to see what kind of condition it was in, which it doesnt sound like you were)
Yep,

All of his so called "testing" was blotched because he never finished nor did a correct test in the first place. There are no records, no composition testing, no control testing. Plain and simple, there is no basis for any type findings thereof.

Secondly, he has no idea what Full Synthetics are over Conventionals.

I rest my case.

Quick Reply: 98 durango oil change