1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

PLEASE HELP 99 dodge durango

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:30 PM
best7687
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PLEASE HELP 99 dodge durango

I have a 99 dodge durango we were driving down the road and all of a sudden it felt like my husband slammed on the brakes it wasnt making any noises AT ALL when this happend so he let off the gas and it quit we started going again went for a couple minutes and again it felt like he slammed on the brakes so we stopped put it in park and he got out had me get in the drivers seat and put it in drive and give it gas the rear tires were engaging trying to push the durango but the front tires would not move at all. so he put it in 4hi it still felt like they were trying to catch off and on we drove it for a mile or so til we got it parked at a friends house does anyone know what could be wrong desprite need of help.......

Old 04-21-2011, 01:51 PM
best7687
Unhappy PLEASE HELP 99 dodge durango

I have a 99 dodgedurango we were driving down the road and all of a sudden it felt like my husband slammed on the brakes it wasnt making any noises AT ALL when this happend so he let off the gas and it quit we started going again went for a couple minutes and again it felt like he slammed on the brakes so we stopped put it in park and he got out had me get in the drivers seat and put it in drive and give it gas the rear tires were engaging trying to push the durango but the front tires would not move at all. so he put it in 4hi it still felt like they were trying to catch off and on we drove it for a mile or so til we got it parked at a friends house does anyone know what could be wrong desprite need of help.......

Old 04-21-2011, 01:55 PM
best7687
Exclamation Front end problems?

I have a 99 dodgedurango we were driving down the road and all of a sudden it felt like my husband slammed on the brakes it wasnt making any noises AT ALL when this happend so he let off the gas and it quit we started going again went for a couple minutes and again it felt like he slammed on the brakes so we stopped put it in park and he got out had me get in the drivers seat and put it in drive and give it gas the rear tires were engaging trying to push the durango but the front tires would not move at all. so he put it in 4hi it still felt like they were trying to catch off and on we drove it for a mile or so til we got it parked at a friends house does anyone know what could be wrong desprite need of help.......

Old 04-21-2011, 02:22 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

When was the last time the transfer case fluid was changed and the front differential fluid changed? It sounds to me like you have major friction problems in the front differential and it needs to be changed out. Make sure to pick up a can of BG Friction Modifier or some equivalent because heat can destroy your bearings and ring/pinion.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:30 PM
best7687

I have no idea we bought the durango in Feb of this year... Do you think it could have damaged it any to where i would have to have it all changed out???? I really really hope not. I got 5 kids and one disabled I got to get it going again to get my son to his dr's.

Last edited by best7687; 04-21-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:05 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

If you had to put it in 4HI it is very likely something is damaged internally. I'd have someone you trust check the transfer case and replace the fluid in it. Try to jack the front end up (while the vehicle is in 2WD) and spin the wheels and listen for a grinding noise or it hard to spin the wheels. There should be a little resistance on the front because it's 4WD but it should be plenty easy to spin the front wheels.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:13 PM
best7687

when we had it in 4hi there wasn't any noise at all while we drove it. I will have him jack it up and check the wheels. someone told us it could be the hub and bearings i have no idea thats why i asked on here instead.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:58 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Front wheel drive shaft failure/lockup?

Caliper sticking?

Any tire/brake shop will be able to tell you in 5 minutes. Better than waiting on an answer from a forum sight unseen especially when safety is at issue.

Name:  icon_bangwall.gif
Views: 33
Size:  1.4 KB

IndyDurango

Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

If it's a wheel bearing you'll hear a grinding noise when you spin the wheels by hand so that's why I suggested that.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i agree with indy something is haning up on the front end, brakes or a bad driveshaft or front differential, get it looked at asap if you cant figure out the issue on your own

2 threads are not necessary, im merging them

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 04-21-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP 99 dodge durango