1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

DIY: Adding a overhead console w/ temperature and compass (Durango Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
For the record Old_School sorry it's a little late but here's the wiring diagram you ordered! LOL Hopefully it can help someone accomplishing this task in the future!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! i owe you a beer if or when we ever meet.....

I had a delema where the factory harness connected under the dash... i was told that it connected into a white connector with a cap on it and i was also told that i went into the C3 plug of the junction box... that diagram conforms that its the C3 plug..... i have it noted and i will change it in my write-up..

again, THANK YOU

BTW: Thanks to everyone for the positive comments on the thread.... it is that and the fact that someday i will have helped someone do something they didn't think was possible that brings me joy and makes doing this and any write-up so much more enjoyable and worth while....

Last edited by Old_School; 06-14-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

I also forgot to mention that the factory harness for the overhead console also includes a plug for the Auto-Dim rearview mirror. I did not switch mine (yet) because it was already riped from the donor truck i got the console out of..

For some reason the local yards here do not get to many dodges in ... esp. the durango's wonder why??..... lol

Old 06-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old_School
For some reason the local yards here do not get to many dodges in ... esp. the durango's wonder why??..... lol
Based on the number of these things out there I'd say a lot of them are still on the road. lol I still am amazed by how many I see!

I've thought about doing this on mine, as I'd like to be able to have the trip computer and the compartment. If I do feel ambitious enough this thread will definitely be a big help.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Compactc9
Based on the number of these things out there I'd say a lot of them are still on the road. lol I still am amazed by how many I see!

I've thought about doing this on mine, as I'd like to be able to have the trip computer and the compartment. If I do feel ambitious enough this thread will definitely be a big help.
Yeah, its not really that hard at all... I thought it was gonna be a PITA till i started doing research...

Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 PM
devinpitcher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody know if you can put in the EVIC instead of the OTIS (as installed here) in a 1998 Durango?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by devinpitcher
Anybody know if you can put in the EVIC instead of the OTIS (as installed here) in a 1998 Durango?
The console will fit up into place but, its a completely different ball game when it comes to how its wired and where it gets its information from...

Old 12-17-2011, 09:28 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Old_School
I also forgot to mention that the factory harness for the overhead console also includes a plug for the Auto-Dim rearview mirror. I did not switch mine (yet) because it was already riped from the donor truck i got the console out of..
I know it's been a while, but did you figure out if we have to make more connections for the auto-mirror or is the wiring for it already hooked up from other things

UPDATE:
Since I'm an engineer I figured I'd grab my voltmeter and go check the pins to see if they were working. All I had to do was hook up a ground (I'd used the dome light ground for the computer) then everything was good to go.

btw great write up Old School

Last edited by that_guy; 12-17-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Dakota Greg
Professional

I have a 99 dakota, its got the crappy overhead console with the clip instead of temp sensor. Would I need to do any cutting of the headliner (hoping no but might not mind since excuse to pull it and get it redone) since I already have the console and just need to wire up the computer up top?

Also JW what does the overhead display besides temp? My moms 00 durango displays like fuel mileage and other stuff and a compass.

And last question what was the total cost? Im 17 soo im on a budget but Im the only one in the family with a dodge without the overhead console that has the temp and stuff and I feel left out.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

Should be the same process that was shown here, and either replace or just add the computer display to the console. I'm actually the only one in my family with such a thing in my truck, mom is jealous because mine is actually the nicest vehicle out of everyone in the family! lol

Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Dakota Greg
I have a 99 dakota, its got the crappy overhead console with the clip instead of temp sensor. Would I need to do any cutting of the headliner (hoping no but might not mind since excuse to pull it and get it redone) since I already have the console and just need to wire up the computer up top?

Also JW what does the overhead display besides temp? My moms 00 durango displays like fuel mileage and other stuff and a compass.

And last question what was the total cost? Im 17 soo im on a budget but Im the only one in the family with a dodge without the overhead console that has the temp and stuff and I feel left out.
it does the temp, compass, MPG, and miles till empty..

IIRC, if you have the overhead already then the wires should already be there but, don't hold me to it. That make it easy because the it just be plug and play.

The whole cost for the project was about $10 bucks... the you pull it yard charged me $5 for the console and another $5 or so in misc connectors.

Last edited by Old_School; 02-15-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY: Adding a overhead console w/ temperature and compass (Durango Edition)