1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

DIY: Adding a overhead console w/ temperature and compass (Durango Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Durango03
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of doing this because my standard done light keeps falling whenever someone slams the door. I got an overhead console. My question is, I also got an auto dim mirror and the harness plug was already up in the headliner. Is it possible that the plug for the console I also up there?? I didn't grab the harness that runs up the a-pillar from the donor truck. I guess I could go back and see if there's one there in the junkyard.

Also..... How do you remove the basic dome light?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango03
I'm thinking of doing this because my standard done light keeps falling whenever someone slams the door. I got an overhead console. My question is, I also got an auto dim mirror and the harness plug was already up in the headliner. Is it possible that the plug for the console I also up there?? I didn't grab the harness that runs up the a-pillar from the donor truck. I guess I could go back and see if there's one there in the junkyard.

Also..... How do you remove the basic dome light?

It's very well possible that the plug for the overhead is up there too if you have the plug for the auto dim mirror as the overhead and the auto dim mirror where considered on add on option. when i did mine i had no plugs for either and when i added the overhead A/C i figured the same but when i took down the headliner the plugs for it where right there...

Best thing to do would be to drop the headliner a bit and see if the plug is up there and go from there. If i had to bet i would say its there, just tucked back a bit farther back than the other on..

Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Durango03
Veteran

That's good to hear. I will have to check and see if its there. I'll also look and see if the sensor is there under the good. Thanks for the reply!

Old 06-01-2013, 02:26 PM
LesPauloholic

This is a great thread. I'm wanting to add the trip computer to my 01 Dakota. I also have the overhead console with the "clip" thingie.... I'm looking at the C3 connector on the back of the fuse block, and I do have a harness plugged in there, which may be good :-) Is there a way to tell by looking at that harness that is plugged into C3 if it has everything I'd need already wired? How many wires would be installed in that connector? It looks like I've probably got 5 or 6 wires there, but it's kind of hard to see up there.

Thanks!
Greg

Old 06-01-2013, 05:10 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a connector there too, but the wiring for the console wasn't there. I think that plug is what feeds the power to the dome lights, so you can just add the new pins (from your new harness) to the connector that's already there.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by LesPauloholic
This is a great thread. I'm wanting to add the trip computer to my 01 Dakota. I also have the overhead console with the "clip" thingie.... I'm looking at the C3 connector on the back of the fuse block, and I do have a harness plugged in there, which may be good :-) Is there a way to tell by looking at that harness that is plugged into C3 if it has everything I'd need already wired? How many wires would be installed in that connector? It looks like I've probably got 5 or 6 wires there, but it's kind of hard to see up there.

Thanks!
Greg

I'm not 100% sure on the Dakotas, even tho they are almost the same as the Durangos there was an interior change in both that changed up the wiring and how the overhead communicates with everything. 2001 was the year for the change in the Durangos and i am assuming it was the same for the Dakotas.

In my truck (1998) C3 connects other accessories so even though i didn't have the overhead, i still had quite a few wires into the C3 connector. I'm going to assume that on the 2001+ of both are the same way. Mine did not have the wiring for the overhead in it but, when i added the overhead A/C all the connections where already there. I'll also tell you that when i added the overhead in my aunt's 2001 Durango last fall, all the wiring was there... all i had to do was get a console from a 2001+ and trim the headliner for it to fit. My best advice would be to pull your current overhead down and poke around in there and see in there are any empty connecters hiding up there.

Last edited by Old_School; 06-02-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:06 PM
LesPauloholic

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll have to do some poking around up in my headliner when I get a free afternoon.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:27 AM
vako
Professional

will that overhead console should mpg also!! if yes, then i will send you my durango with tons of cash to do it for me

Old 06-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by vako
will that overhead console should mpg also!! if yes, then i will send you my durango with tons of cash to do it for me

Yes the overhead console does show MPG but, they have never been 100% accurate, close but not accurate.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:46 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

even close is stretching it, mine was known to be off by as much as 4-5 mpg at times. . .

Quick Reply: DIY: Adding a overhead console w/ temperature and compass (Durango Edition)