1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I need help identifying a noise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM
1stShewolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MedfordMan
I think I'm having the same problem. That sound you talked about -- is it like a whirring/straining sound? I've noticed my '02 4.7 has just started doing this. It happens when I accelerate or declerate, once i'm over like 10 mph. It almost sounds like amplified road noise. I don't know how else to explain it. Almost like the the brakes are on while I'm accelerating. Is that similar to what you are experiencing?

Yes, that somewhat describes it. Go to this link, it has some useful info

http://www.4x4now.com/gt0699.htm

Old 08-09-2011, 02:29 PM
1stShewolf

@Hydrashocker...I asked him about the bearings and he said he was talking about wheel bearing located at wheel end and carrier bearing located at differential end. I guess I didn't understand what he was saying. Anyway, one or the other could have started this whole thing, I don't suppose it really matters when I am pulling out my wallet though. He said he will be able to tell me everything that is wrong sometime today once he has it all tore down.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:48 PM
MustangDos

Seems like I have the same noise...I thought it was the differential, but later was told it may be a pinion bearing. I am going to check the fluid levels when I get home. Please update soon so I know what it's gonna cost to get this fixed.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:46 PM
1stShewolf

Okay, here is what I know so far....good news, the pinion is salvageable. I need new carrier bearings and the posi trac is shot. He said the housing is fine but is having some trouble locating the clutch pack for it. It has a 9 1/4 inch rear end and the parts may have to come from a dealer. Also said that I have the option to leave it open instead of locked but might have a slight slipping issue. It is 4 wheel drive so I don't think it would be a problem if I went that way but I prefer to put it back factory.

Most interesting was the reason for this. Whoever did the dif service apparently did not use a friction modifier when they replaced the fluid which wore the pads/parts out with excessive slipping.

I don't have a price yet but feel confident it is going to take the best part of a grand to fix if not more. The complete posiitive traction unit is $1,100 from the dealer if we can't get a clutch kit, about $365 is the cheapest I have found in after market. Soooo, I will update when I know more.

I may be using positive trac and trac lok interchangeably, sorry...

Last edited by 1stShewolf; 08-10-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:43 AM
MedfordMan

Originally Posted by MedfordMan
I think I'm having the same problem. That sound you talked about -- is it like a whirring/straining sound? I've noticed my '02 4.7 has just started doing this. It happens when I accelerate or declerate, once i'm over like 10 mph. It almost sounds like amplified road noise. I don't know how else to explain it. Almost like the the brakes are on while I'm accelerating. Is that similar to what you are experiencing?
Just thought I'd update on my sound, which I attempted to describe above. It turned out to be the right front wheel bearing. It cost about $225 to fix. I also need to replace my sway bar bushings, but think I might attempt to do that one on my own.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 PM
1stShewolf
Default Final update

I am back on the road!
Left rear carrier bearing was bad, that was making the whirring noise. Pinion bearing was bad, contributed to the noise. Trac Loc was shot and needed rebuilding.

Put a kit in the rear end, replaced carrier bearings, rebuilt Trac Loc. Total price, less than $600. Piece of mind, priceless.

Thank you to everyone who expressed an opinion. I know where to go now when I need some guidance, as I am sure I will, with this Durango in the future.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hell $600 bucks was a screamin deal with all that work!!!!!!

Glad we could help and everything sounds true as he stated. Sounds like you have a new differential mechanic to service your differentials. I would have them done at every 15,000 with severe usage, and 30,000 with normal driving. Also I like Mobil One Fully Synthetic 75-90 with Limited Slip. Even though it is mixed to include the LS additive I still add at least 7oz bottle with it.

Also here is a rebuild I did on that exact rear end: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...c-lok-lsd.html

Old 08-17-2011, 12:42 AM
1stShewolf

One last thing, he said that when he was putting the shaft back into the transfer case, it was really tight. He checked it out and found that the transfer case or something in the receiving end (not sure here) of the transfer case, was bent. The guy I bought it from had told me that they had changed out the transfer case with one from a junk yard so it probably came out of a wrecked vehicle. Anyway, he machined it so that the shaft would fit properly. Total came to $664. I am really happy with all he did and would absolutely use him in the future. Anyone in NC, his name is Larry Pollard and builds rear ends for racing and sports. His garage is in Taylorsville, "LP Gear".

Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 AM
MustangDos

I should be getting mine back from the shop today or tomorrow. They are installing the bearing kit as it sounds like the pinion bearing went bad. They quoted me $610. I also took mine to a shop that builds rear ends for racing. It's Omps Garage in Winchester, VA. They've been around for over 60 years. As soon as I get it back, I'll let ya know how good of a job they did and the final cost. Fingers are crossed!!!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:02 AM
1stShewolf
Smile

Originally Posted by MustangDos
I should be getting mine back from the shop today or tomorrow. They are installing the bearing kit as it sounds like the pinion bearing went bad. They quoted me $610. I also took mine to a shop that builds rear ends for racing. It's Omps Garage in Winchester, VA. They've been around for over 60 years. As soon as I get it back, I'll let ya know how good of a job they did and the final cost. Fingers are crossed!!!

I hope it all works out good for you! My Trac Loc was slipping when I first got home and came up my driveway, I sort of had a WTF moment. But, after about ten miles it straightened up and has been great ever since, whew... I think I am going to invest in a new clutch kit for it so I'll have it, I have a feeling I might be needing it in the future.

My next fix is going to be the transmission fluid leak where it hooks up to the transfer case. Then I will tackle the ABS system along with new brake calipers and a master cylinder, they work okay but I wouldn't trust it enough for city driving or heavy usage. I hope that will be it for awhile but somehow I am doubtful. On a more positive note, if gas prices keep coming down I might actually be able to afford to drive it somewhere besides a repair shop!

Quick Reply: I need help identifying a noise.