1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Some one with a 99 Please post a pic

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:31 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the rubber on the filter touches the nice smooth surface around the filter stud, as long as that seals up properly the rest doesnt matter

and it is showing too much oil because you put too much oil into it.(this is bc you added when the dipstick said it was low and the dipstick was wrong), drain out whatever you think you are over by with the drain plug and check again, repeat until the level is correct!!!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:39 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will do, but I should only be over by one quart! Thats all I added! I will have to play with it tomorrow after work, that just makes me wonder how long I have been running it with too much oil in it! I added 3 quarts to it a week before I did the plenum gasket, because it was showing low all the time! This truck is going to kill me one day, always having to do something on it, hopefully soon it will be perfect!

I'll figure it out though, thanks for all ya'lls help, especially your help shrp!

Last edited by TurboStixx; 01-02-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM
lvphotos
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the gasket is the right size to seal to the block the can can be wider than the old can. I run a stock size can because it a pain to get out of the maze of crap without drowning in oil. The can is hand tight and don't try to over-tighten to get a "better" seal, it just makes it worse. You can increase oil pressure with smaller can or capacity with lower pressure with larger can. At least old skool Chevy worked that way. Look out for double gasket, old one sticking to block, had it happen once.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:39 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lvphotos
If the gasket is the right size to seal to the block the can can be wider than the old can. I run a stock size can because it a pain to get out of the maze of crap without drowning in oil. The can is hand tight and don't try to over-tighten to get a "better" seal, it just makes it worse. You can increase oil pressure with smaller can or capacity with lower pressure with larger can. At least old skool Chevy worked that way. Look out for double gasket, old one sticking to block, had it happen once.
+1

that's what my grandpap always taught me for adjusting the pressure, and always checking the gasket. I've seen people that had two gaskets on have oil spray out everywhere before. Also make sure you put some oil on the gasket before you tighten it down so it seals properly

Old 01-03-2012, 08:03 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

Yup! I remember being taught all that by my grandad as well.

Changed the filter, didnt add any oil, still about an inch above the full mark. The mark is so low on the dipstick, you are still supposed to check your oil when its 100% cold (like after letting it sit overnight) right lol, feels stupid saying that,nbut i am pretty sure i havent added that much oil...but...nevermind, i took about half a quart out removing the skinny filter, and it when down about half of what it was and i did put a full quart extra in the truck, sad that it takes me writing all of this out to think things out right, just a lot going on with work, not thinking straight, guess i could change the filter agan, or just pull the plug, with the 16 degree evening tonight and aa high of 35 today, wasnt doing much tonight. Thanks guys

Old 01-03-2012, 08:07 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I was taught to change and check oil when the engine was slightly warm so that it had a lower viscosity, but I'm not really sure if it makes much of a difference with the level

Old 01-03-2012, 11:12 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

check it after the engine has sat for a while this way the oil is all in the pan, i think the manual says sitting for 1/2 hour is enough, i still prefer to check first thing in the morning, viscosity wont affect the reading on the dipstick, but the oil still clinging to the internals will.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

Cool, i will check it in the morning, see how she looks

Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 PM
lvphotos
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I would suggest using a longer life oil like Lucas(10k) and 5k+ filter like Fram because I hate it when its that cold at least get to spring. I can't find my dipstick let alone the trucks. Warm up the truck let it sit for 30 sec and that should be good a good read on level. Durangos are drippers except after 32 degrees in my truck with 10w30. It just wants to mark its spot.

Last edited by lvphotos; 01-05-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:47 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lvphotos
Ok, I would suggest using a longer life oil like Lucas(10k) and 5k+ filter like Fram because I hate it when its that cold at least get to spring. I can't find my dipstick let alone the trucks. Warm up the truck let it sit for 30 sec and that should be good a good read on level. Durangos are drippers except after 32 degrees in my truck with 10w40. It just wants to mark its spot.
I hope 10w40 is a typo......

Quick Reply: Some one with a 99 Please post a pic