Front axle troubles??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012 | 09:20 PM
DodgeGreenland
|
Exclamation Front axle troubles??

Hey guys

I have a R/T Dodge Durango 2002 5,9L.

Lately, I've been experiencing grinding noises in front, especially when I turn. Yesterday when I make a right turn while in reverse gear. The car bumped a bit and made some noise. The same happened when i made a left turn to park my car 2 mins later. First I was thinking the servo-oil might be low but, it was ok. Today I made the same turn in reverse gear, it didn't make any noise, the car began to make some noise after I've been driven in about 2 miles.
So I thought it could be the front axles or any suggestions?

Please help me ...

Old 09-01-2012 | 02:54 AM
srch4me
All Star

Originally Posted by DodgeGreenland
Hey guys

Lately, I've been experiencing grinding noises in front, especially when I turn. Yesterday when I make a right turn while in reverse gear. The car bumped a bit and made some noise. The same happened when i made a left turn to park my car 2 mins later. First I was thinking the servo-oil might be low but, it was ok. Today I made the same turn in reverse gear, it didn't make any noise, the car began to make some noise after I've been driven in about 2 miles.

Please help me ...
Wheel bearing or CV axle would be my guess

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 09-01-2012 | 03:22 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

grinding sound while in a turn is usually a wheel bearing

Old 09-02-2012 | 02:05 AM
cummingetit
Professional

Or cv joint. My wheel bearings howled while going down the road with the noise increasing or decreasing while swerving left to right.

Old 09-04-2012 | 03:12 AM
thepeshmode
Amateur

Hey guys

Please help me ...
Had the same problem(s) not too long ago...after replacing all shocks, found out one the wheel bearing assy was shot. Replace both for the reason they would have almost the same wear and tear on each. After changing both, no more grinding when I turn left or right. If you decide this option, get ready to apply some upper body torque to bust the hub nuts! Cheater bar will help. Best to bust the torque while the D is on ground, then raise the front for removal.

Old 09-11-2012 | 01:43 PM
DodgeGreenland
|

Thank you all for answering my question..

Is it possible that it could be something else than CV Joint and Wheel bearing??

The noise begins when I've been driven for a longer time. Not immediate. I start the engine and begin to drive then first after 10 or 15 minutes the car begins to make some noises op front. And when I turn to left or right the car starts to make bumping noises and it feels like the bumps a bit too when I turn to left or right.

Thanks again.

Old 09-11-2012 | 05:19 PM
srch4me
All Star

Thank you all for answering my question..

Is it possible that it could be something else than CV Joint and Wheel bearing??

The noise begins when I've been driven for a longer time. Not immediate. I start the engine and begin to drive then first after 10 or 15 minutes the car begins to make some noises op front. And when I turn to left or right the car starts to make bumping noises and it feels like the bumps a bit too when I turn to left or right.

Thanks again.
There's not much up front beside the CV axles and the wheel bearings that can go bump bump and grind

Old 09-11-2012 | 11:34 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

they way you can check to see if its your hub bearings is to jack it up in the air and try to wiggle the tire if it wiggles and you feel slack then its your hub bearings. if its not your bearings, while the vehicle is still jacked up crawl under the truck and reach up and grabb your cv shaft try turning it and feel for free play. if the tire doesnt move when your turning the cv shaft then its your cv shafts bearings, and you will have to replace them. if you still have no freeplay check your controll arm bushings.
with the vehicle still in the air. grab the upper one first and pull on it and wiggle it side to side and see if has any free play, same with the lower controll arm. and check your sway bar bushings. or link arms if it has em. check for free play in them as well. also check the upper and lower ball joints for movement. besides that there isnt much more to look for. if its your hubs you will know! i had my tires balanced not to long ago and they put to large of weights on it and every time i turned a certain way the weights on the inside of the wheel would hit my upper ball joint and i thought something was wrong, but they put different weights on it a lower profile weight and the clunking noise went away. so check your weights for marks, they might be hitting your upper ball joint. most likely not. but it cant hurt to look.

Last edited by krupaeric; 09-11-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Front axle troubles??