1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Crank sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:04 AM
one big mess
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank sensor

When we first bought our durango we were told it nedded a crank sensor a shift solenoid and a trans cooler. As we were driving it home it stalled and wouldnt start. We called the person we bought it from and he said it was the crank sensor(got to hot) and if we left it sit for a couple min it would start back up. We did and it did. now i've replaced the crank sensor and it still does it. Now my question is, does the sensor have an auto shut off mechanism or if it is something else. i know it is possible to get a bad sensor. I'm not sure what the sensor reads but I would think if it didnt read it hot then it shouldnt read it at all (if it doesnt read the temp of the crank). Once again turning to you people for Help. So glad I found this site.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Uller God

What code is it throwing? You should have read the code before replacing the sensor, could very well be the cam shaft positioning sensor or something else. Bring it in and have someone scan it.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

engine shutting down after truck heats up and then restarting after cooling down is often a bad PCM(in 98-00 MY trucks) you can test this

to test bring ziplock bag of ice with you, when truck dies put bag of ice on PCM (bag is to keep PCM dry), maybe hold it on w/ tape, see if truck starts, if it starts and stays running you have just diagnosed an overheated PCM, buy replacement, plug it in and go on with life.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM
one big mess
Amateur

Thanks for your help Uller God. My wife was another site and found that if you replace the crank sensor to replace the cam shaft sensor as well. Then I was told that these two sensors go hand and hand. Just trying to figure out why it stalls, seems like after the temp guage gets to the half way point.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:54 PM
one big mess
Amateur

Originally Posted by one big mess
Thanks for your help Uller God. My wife was another site and found that if you replace the crank sensor to replace the cam shaft sensor as well. Then I was told that these two sensors go hand and hand. Just trying to figure out why it stalls, seems like after the temp guage gets to the half way point. Then after is sits about ten minns it will start.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 PM
tooltime
Veteran

I may have to replace the crank sensor but have not heard about the cam sensor. I hope this is not the case. Last week the engine light came on and had it tested it came up p0320. I have to replace the tps also.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 AM
one big mess
Amateur

Originally Posted by tooltime
I may have to replace the crank sensor but have not heard about the cam sensor. I hope this is not the case. Last week the engine light came on and had it tested it came up p0320. I have to replace the tps also.
Trust me the cam sensor is nowhere near as hard to get to as the crank sensor (boy what a bitch that sensor). The whole job takes about 15 mins. It is located under the distributor and rotor. I didn't remove the plug wires that's why it took so long. I wish changing all parts were that easy. If you replaced the crank sensor go ahead and replace the cam positioning sensor. I was told they go hand and hand.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Uller God

The crank sensor is a total PITA to replace, it will be rusted in place, very little room to work with, and will come out in pieces followed by some swear words. Pay someone to replace it, it's not worth doing it yourself. Hope your "D" is back on the road one big mess.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 PM
one big mess
Amateur

After 2 days and 20hrs on the computer my wife found where the crank sensor. iI also decided to take the wheel well out to make it much easier (half hour job). Just be prepared to craw under, out from and back under the vehicle to pick up the bolts you will drop. much easier then trying to lay on your back and try and reach it.

Quick Reply: Crank sensor